• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeits being sold locally

5 posts in this topic

Well for starters I see a link in the ad for reporting it to whoever is hosting it.  If the reporting link lets you enter and explanation point out that under the Hobby Protection Act it is illegal to sell copies or replicas that are not marked copy, and that agencies the aid in selling them can also be charged.  Carrying the ad once they have been notified would constitute aiding in selling.

I like how he says it is "perfect". Everything about that coin is wrong compared to a real one, it's a joke.

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Well for starters I see a link in the ad for reporting it to whoever is hosting it.  If the reporting link lets you enter and explanation point out that under the Hobby Protection Act it is illegal to sell copies or replicas that are not marked copy, and that agencies the aid in selling them can also be charged.  Carrying the ad once they have been notified would constitute aiding in selling.

I like how he says it is "perfect". Everything about that coin is wrong compared to a real one, it's a joke.

Thanks, I did report it to the hosting site and will see if they take it down or not. It is a local site in the middle of rural Tennessee so I don't have high hopes. I will message the seller as well. 

At least once upon a time, it was illegal to counterfeit legal tender US coinage and currency. At least once upon a time, it was illegal even to possess same, or so I imagined. At least once upon a time, the silver dollar dated 1804 was struck by the US Mint as legal tender US coinage. I always thought that the Secret Service thought counterfeiting our money, in any form, was very naughty.

I must have been mistaken, because if I were right about all that, it would make no more sense to advertise counterfeit US coins than it would to advertise black tar heroin.