• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 and 2008 SMS Mint Sets

6 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can help.  Are the 2007 and 2008 Uncirculated Mint Sets also known as the "Special Mint Sets"?  And to get this designation on a slab, would it still need to be in a sealed box from the US Mint?

Lastly, I do not want all of the coins graded in the set.  Only the Kennedy halves.  I literally would not even want the other coins back.  I just want the SMS designation on the label for each mint and each year of the Kennedy half.  

Thanks.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

All of the USA Uncirculaed Sets issued 2005-10 were made with a satiny finish and are thus automatically labeled SMS. You can submit the coins within the sealed pliofilm envelope that holds all the coins to establish that they are from the Unc Set. They don't have to be in the Mint's shipping box.

As for having only the half dollars slabbed, just cut out a square around the halves so that NGC can still see they're from the Unc Set, and submit only the halves. We don't want to have to return the other coins ungraded.