• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats wrong with this coin/vdb

7 posts in this topic

What i mean by whats wrong with it is why can i hardly see it?? I mean i know its there but why so smudge/faint? Conder101 why is the date important if i may ask not trying tk be sarcastic promise just wondering?

No one can say why you can or can't see something, as no one can see it with precisely your vision.

My eyes, from this limited portion, can see a well worn Linc with a noteworthy ding that is probably not as much a detractor as overall wear. It might grade G or AG, depending on the rest of the coin.

If you are asking why you cannot see the letters V.D.B., if it is a 1909 cent, we'd begin by pointing out that you're looking at the wrong side. The letters are on the reverse of that coin. Your three photos depict the obverse. Sort of like: "Well, I wouldn't expect to be able to fuel up the car from there; that's the tailpipe, not the fuel input."

In addition to what JKK wrote, the designer's initials were removed from the reverse in 1909, and were not replaced - on the obverse under the portrait - until 1918. So, if your coin is,for example, a 1912, there would be no initials to see.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:05 AM, Rob1983 said:

Conder101 why is the date important if i may ask not trying tk be sarcastic promise just wondering?

Well I couldn't see the VDB and JKK and Just Bob explained what I was thinking.  If it was dated between 1909 and 1918 there wouldn't be a VDB present.