• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this sms kennedy

15 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BellaNathan said:

It has teardrop

Hello again,

It's highly possible to have a business strike coin from dies used to strike SMS or Proof coins during this era.  Just look at all of the Type B reverse Washington Quarters from this time period.....they are all made in just that way, from proof dies that are no longer acceptable for proof coinage but that still have some life in them, so they were put into service on the regular production line at Philadelphia.  All known 1964 SMS coins came from the estate of Eva Adams, who was the Director of the Mint from 1961-1969, the time period when SMS coins were made.  It is thought that the 1964 SMS coins were prototypes for full production in 1965, and I think that there are between 10-22 known for the coins depending on denomination (the numbers are different for each one).  That means that the dies used to strike them definitely had a lot of life left in them after striking the 1964 SMS coins, and the US was in the midst of a coin shortage at the time, so they were unlikely to just dispose of the 1964 SMS dies after 10-22 strikes from them.  It's entirely possible that you have a business strike struck by SMS dies if your coin is a Philly strike.  If it's a Denver, well then, I'm not sure what you have then.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hello again,

It's highly possible to have a business strike coin from dies used to strike SMS or Proof coins during this era.  Just look at all of the Type B reverse Washington Quarters from this time period.....they are all made in just that way, from proof dies that are no longer acceptable for proof coinage but that still have some life in them, so they were put into service on the regular production line at Philadelphia.  All known 1964 SMS coins came from the estate of Eva Adams, who was the Director of the Mint from 1961-1969, the time period when SMS coins were made.  It is thought that the 1964 SMS coins were prototypes for full production in 1965, and I think that there are between 10-22 known for the coins depending on denomination (the numbers are different for each one).  That means that the dies used to strike them definitely had a lot of life left in them after striking the 1964 SMS coins, and the US was in the midst of a coin shortage at the time, so they were unlikely to just dispose of the 1964 SMS dies after 10-22 strikes from them.  It's entirely possible that you have a business strike struck by SMS dies if your coin is a Philly strike.  If it's a Denver, well then, I'm not sure what you have then.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

Thanks I have a Denver this way as well

image.jpg

40 minutes ago, BellaNathan said:

Thanks I have a Denver this way as well

image.jpg

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hello again,

I hope this helps!

~Tom

I appreciate  that a lot just finished sorting all my coins and collection and believe it or not I have some tickets from a auction but gott check what they are I also seen some cards with Lester merkins name on them from the 60s but probably nothingMost of the good stuff was my grandfathers he left me

2 minutes ago, BellaNathan said:

Thanks

I appreciate  that a lot just finished sorting all my coins and collection and believe it or not I have some tickets from a auction but gott check what they are I also seen some cards with Lester merkins name on them from the 60s but probably nothing

9 hours ago, BellaNathan said:

I also seen some cards with Lester merkins name on them from the 60s but probably nothingMost of the good stuff was my grandfathers he left me

That is very interesting. Lester Merkin was the dealer who handled the 1964 SMS coins from the Eva Adams estate. hm

I think the teardrop, aka the dangling4 die marker is only found on SMS coins.  There is one SMS coin where it was not found to be on.  I'd like to know which grading service graded that one.  I believe yours is an SMS coin if it bears the teardrop, dangling4 die marker, but I've been told through email by NGC that they do not recognize the dangling4 die marker.  Not sure if they call it a teardrop but I'd hope they would mean that term, as well.  And I am not sure for what reason they do not recognize it...