• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth saving?

78 posts in this topic

Hello all,

In need of cash, and wondering, if these coins are worth saving and/or selling?
Or would you just go ahead and spend them, for face value?

I appreciate your feedback!

Eisenhower Dollar
Copper-nickel: 91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel
1971: (5), 1971 D: (2), Variety 1
1972: (6), 1972 D: (11), Variety 1
1974: (3), 1974 D: (3), Variety 1
1776-1976: (2), 1776-1976 D: (37), Variety 2

Kennedy Half Dollar
Silver: 90% silver, 10% copper
1964, (4)

Silver clad: 40% silver, 60% copper
1965, (1)
1966: (2)
1967: (11)
1968 D: (12)
1969 D: (5)

1971 D: (1)
1974 D: (1)

Susan B. Anthony Dollar
1979 P, narrow rim: 4 (3 sealed)

coins worth saving or spending.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously, the silver and silver clad Kennedy's are worth more than face value, so I would put them aside, at least until the price of silver rises again. I would also check all of the coins for varieties, (our hosts Variety Plus is a good place to start. Link here).

I might keep one of each date and mint mark for posterity.

Then, I would  probably save some to give to young collectors, but I would definitely spend at least a few - especially the Ikes, just to watch the cashiers' reactions

Hello and Welcome!

I'd say save the silver, spend the rest.  I see that you've checked your Ikes for varieties already and what you have is just worth face value.  And, as Bob said, Ikes are fun to spend!!

~Tom

14 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously, the silver and silver clad Kennedy's are worth more than face value, so I would put them aside, at least until the price of silver rises again. I would also check all of the coins for varieties, (our hosts Variety Plus is a good place to start. Link here).

I might keep one of each date and mint mark for posterity.

Then, I would  probably save some to give to young collectors, but I would definitely spend at least a few - especially the Ikes, just to watch the cashiers' reactions

Thanks!

Put aside, Kennedy silver & silver clad, at least until the price of silver rises again. (thumbsu  Where do you get silver prices? 

Appreciate, the link to Variety Plus...Some of the abbreviations are a bit confusing, to this newbie but the pics are very helpful; so I may have to take a closer look, at what I have but not sure my 3.5 readers are strong enough, for some smaller coins, moving forward.

I like the ideas, of perhaps, saving one of each date and mint mark, for posterity and/or to give to young collectors but my main motivation here, is...I need cash...So, looks like Ikes, copper-nickel Kennedy halves & Susan B. Anthony dollars are spending money.

13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hello and Welcome!

I'd say save the silver, spend the rest.  I see that you've checked your Ikes for varieties already and what you have is just worth face value.  And, as Bob said, Ikes are fun to spend!!

~Tom

Hey there, thanks!
When you say "save the silver", does that include the "silver clad"?

Yeah, I have a 2003 "Red Book", which described the varieties, but the pics from the Variety Plus link that @Just Bob posted are more helpful.

11 hours ago, d7716045 said:

Hey there, thanks!
When you say "save the silver", does that include the "silver clad"?

Yeah, I have a 2003 "Red Book", which described the varieties, but the pics from the Variety Plus link that @Just Bob posted are more helpful.

Absolutely.....save the silver clad too.  Anything with silver in it is worth holding onto.  Silver is low right now, but it'll come back....it always does :)

17 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Absolutely.....save the silver clad too.  Anything with silver in it is worth holding onto.  Silver is low right now, but it'll come back....it always does :)

Great, thanks!
Any thoughts, on the state quarters ^^^?

2 hours ago, d7716045 said:

Great, thanks!
Any thoughts, on the state quarters ^^^?

Well.....first thing I need to know is if you have the proofs or just the business strikes.  If not, I doubt they're worth too much even if they're in Mint State.  There are so many collections of these out there and many of them ended up on the market after the series ended in 2008.  The presence of the proofs (especially the silver proofs) would change this picture.  Without this info, I can't really tell you much.

~Tom

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Well.....first thing I need to know is if you have the proofs or just the business strikes.  If not, I doubt they're worth too much even if they're in Mint State.  There are so many collections of these out there and many of them ended up on the market after the series ended in 2008.  The presence of the proofs (especially the silver proofs) would change this picture.  Without this info, I can't really tell you much.

~Tom

Thanks!

l believe, this may provide the answer, where it says “Proof Edition also available!  See inside >”, which leads to ads for:

Clad Proof Set $499.95

Silver Proof Set $999.95

FCD3B249-D230-44F1-89F4-FC9F25ACD836.jpeg

Thanks for the photos!  Yeah, it doesn't look like you have the proofs, and WOW are those some crazy prices for the proofs!  So, it's just the business strikes.  Well, if they're uncirculated you could try selling them to a dealer or online.  I looked at some completed listings for a full set of the P&D quarters online for you and they really aren't selling.  I saw one that sold recently for $49.95 but that appears to be the only one that has sold recently on Ebay and I unfortunately do not know how long it took that seller to move the set at that price.  The albums you have may help, but that's not a sure thing.  I sell a lot of modern coins and, to be perfectly honest with you about the set, I'd pass on it unless it was in a bundle with other coins that I knew I could move and I'd likely give the quarters away as freebies to customers who bought more expensive coins if they were true uncirculated pieces.  So, it's up to you.  You could try to get the $49.95 and wait it out or you could spend the quarters now and get instant gratification. 

I hope that this was of at least some help, even if the news wasn't great.

~Tom

9 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Thanks for the photos!  Yeah, it doesn't look like you have the proofs, and WOW are those some crazy prices for the proofs!  So, it's just the business strikes.  Well, if they're uncirculated you could try selling them to a dealer or online.  I looked at some completed listings for a full set of the P&D quarters online for you and they really aren't selling.  I saw one that sold recently for $49.95 but that appears to be the only one that has sold recently on Ebay and I unfortunately do not know how long it took that seller to move the set at that price.  The albums you have may help, but that's not a sure thing.  I sell a lot of modern coins and, to be perfectly honest with you about the set, I'd pass on it unless it was in a bundle with other coins that I knew I could move and I'd likely give the quarters away as freebies to customers who bought more expensive coins if they were true uncirculated pieces.  So, it's up to you.  You could try to get the $49.95 and wait it out or you could spend the quarters now and get instant gratification. 

I hope that this was of at least some help, even if the news wasn't great.

~Tom

Thanks and appreciate you, for looking up some completed listings.  Yes, that was very helpful, even though news wasn't great.  And, I believe they are UN-circulated but how do I confirm?  Also, how much would you value the albums at, if sold separately?

I hate tell you this but we had a set like that up for sale at the last coin club auction.  It has $25 face value in it and couldn't get a bid of $26.

14 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I hate tell you this but we had a set like that up for sale at the last coin club auction.  It has $25 face value in it and couldn't get a bid of $26.

Thanks!
Hmm?  Each of my sets have 112 Qs, which would be $28 face value, without the albums, tubes...
OR the white gloves, which seem to be a bit over-kill, now.

The set at the coin club did not have the twelve territories quarters, just the state quarters.

And  uncirculated does mean business strikes.

18 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The set at the coin club did not have the twelve territories quarters, just the state quarters.

And  uncirculated does mean business strikes.

Ah, twelve territories quarters...Thanks!

As for, "uncirculated does mean business strikes."; are you saying that ALL uncirculated coins are business strikes?

I'm a bit confused because CSN rep told me "business strikes are made to be circulated..."...  And, US Mint website defines business strike as: "a coin intended for circulation and monetary transactions (as opposed to a proof coin specially made for collectors)."

That said, what about business strikes that were made to be circulated BUT simply have not been put into circulation, yet...? 

9 hours ago, Lancek said:

I would guess that is exactly what those are.  But unfortunately, there are so many of those that have been put aside, they really aren't going for much.  I've also been at auctions where they go for face value at best.

Thanks!
That makes sense. (thumbsu
Seems like, the best part of the set is the album. O.o

12 hours ago, d7716045 said:

Thanks!
That makes sense. (thumbsu
Seems like, the best part of the set is the album. O.o

Sadly, yes, that's true.  You may be able to get a few bucks for the albums on Ebay.  In the past, I've sold used albums like that myself for between $5 and $15 dollras, depending on what the album is for.  As State Quarters are pretty much dead in the water at this point, I'd guess the lower end of that range for the albums as the demand for the coins directly impacts the demand for the albums.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, d7716045 said:

And, US Mint website defines business strike as: "a coin intended for circulation and monetary transactions (as opposed to a proof coin specially made for collectors)."

The US Mint gets kind of strange with their terminology and it doesn't always match the terms that collectors use.  When the mint calls something a proof they mean the same thing that collectors do.  Coins that are made for circulation collectors call business strikes, and if they have no wear they are called uncirculated.  The mint may call such coins business strikes, but in house they are called "circulated" even if they are just out of the coining press.  Coins that the mint makes that are not proofs, and are intended for sets for sale to collectors the mint calls "Uncirculated" whether they are normal coins going to the mint sets, or things like the special finish coins such as the burnished W mint silver eagles.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, Mohawk said:

Sadly, yes, that's true.  You may be able to get a few bucks for the albums on Ebay.  In the past, I've sold used albums like that myself for between $5 and $15 dollras, depending on what the album is for.  As State Quarters are pretty much dead in the water at this point, I'd guess the lower end of that range for the albums as the demand for the coins directly impacts the demand for the albums.

Thanks!

I've read that the CSN albums are similar to Dansco Album #7143, which I'd never heard of but I found their web site and it appears to be of good quality with List Price: $35.95 and currently on sale for $25.17.  That said, I see I have some competition, for the sets with at least 3 sets for sale on CL, locally (see pic) but none have 112 Qs.  From right to left, in pic...Only the set on right without pic, says it has territories but 5 while my set says it has 6, so they have 110 Qs for $110.  I'm not sure which album it has but ad says "Each Collector Panel features:

*Two original Statehood Quarters in uncirculated condition, issued by the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.
*Up to three historic postage stamps, all protected in mint condition to safeguard their authenticity.
*Inspiring narrative and full-color photography that whisk you back in time to relive each state's storied past."

The set, in the middle of pic, has 100 Qs already set, in "$1" tri-fold albums for $35, while the map set only has 50 Qs for $20.  FWIW: I believe, the $110 & $20 ads just renewed after expiring, with latter lowering price from $25 to $20, while $35 ad is 29 days old.

That said, what retail value, would you give my sets?

State quarters for sale on CL.jpg

4 hours ago, d7716045 said:

Thanks!

I've read that the CSN albums are similar to Dansco Album #7143, which I'd never heard of but I found their web site and it appears to be of good quality with List Price: $35.95 and currently on sale for $25.17.  That said, I see I have some competition, for the sets with at least 3 sets for sale on CL, locally (see pic) but none have 112 Qs.  From right to left, in pic...Only the set on right without pic, says it has territories but 5 while my set says it has 6, so they have 110 Qs for $110.  I'm not sure which album it has but ad says "Each Collector Panel features:

*Two original Statehood Quarters in uncirculated condition, issued by the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.
*Up to three historic postage stamps, all protected in mint condition to safeguard their authenticity.
*Inspiring narrative and full-color photography that whisk you back in time to relive each state's storied past."

The set, in the middle of pic, has 100 Qs already set, in "$1" tri-fold albums for $35, while the map set only has 50 Qs for $20.  FWIW: I believe, the $110 & $20 ads just renewed after expiring, with latter lowering price from $25 to $20, while $35 ad is 29 days old.

That said, what retail value, would you give my sets?

State quarters for sale on CL.jpg

Well, once again, I'd say these sets are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and you don't even have the albums to help you in this case.  The maps and other cardboard, punch in the holes albums are essentially worthless once they are used and the coins in them have nearly no demand.....it's doesn't matter what the set is or what holder it is in, business strike State Quarters are dead in the water, and that's unlikely to ever change.  There are too many of them and their moment has passed.  I, myself, would not buy these unless they were part of a bundle with other coins I knew I could move and I'd either give the quarters away as freebies to buyers of more expensive coins or I'd pop them out of the map and cardboard folders and spend them.  I'd say that they essentially have no real retail value, despite what the companies who sold these to you state.  In the real world coin and currency market, there is almost nothing that has less demand than business strike State Quarters.  This would apply for any combination or housing option for these coins.  Only the Proofs have any value anymore, and even they have gone down considerably since 2008.  The State Quarters were a great gimmick for the US Mint and the guys who sell coins in TV, but they were a poor investment for legions of people who collected them, but there's just too many sets and no demand for them now.

5 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Well, once again, I'd say these sets are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and you don't even have the albums to help you in this case.  The maps and other cardboard, punch in the holes albums are essentially worthless once they are used and the coins in them have nearly no demand.....it's doesn't matter what the set is or what holder it is in, business strike State Quarters are dead in the water, and that's unlikely to ever change.  There are too many of them and their moment has passed.  I, myself, would not buy these unless they were part of a bundle with other coins I knew I could move and I'd either give the quarters away as freebies to buyers of more expensive coins or I'd pop them out of the map and cardboard folders and spend them.  I'd say that they essentially have no real retail value, despite what the companies who sold these to you state.  In the real world coin and currency market, there is almost nothing that has less demand than business strike State Quarters.  This would apply for any combination or housing option for these coins.  Only the Proofs have any value anymore, and even they have gone down considerably since 2008.  The State Quarters were a great gimmick for the US Mint and the guys who sell coins in TV, but they were a poor investment for legions of people who collected them, but there's just too many sets and no demand for them now.

Thanks!
I appreciate your feedback.
FWIW, I do have the factory sealed albums, along with everything from CSN collection, in original packaging, including the white glove; and I have not handled coins.
BB9CFBA3-93FA-4702-A077-A13AF53158AF.jpeg

6 hours ago, d7716045 said:

Thanks!
I appreciate your feedback.
FWIW, I do have the factory sealed albums, along with everything from CSN collection, in original packaging, including the white glove; and I have not handled coins.
BB9CFBA3-93FA-4702-A077-A13AF53158AF.jpeg

I think you may be able to get a few dollars for the albums, but not a whole lot.  As I stated previously, the State Quarters are pretty much a dead series.  They had their time, and that time is definitely done.  That will impact the demand for the albums as well....after all, people usually buy albums to prepare for a new collecting project, and almost no one is choosing to start a collection of State Quarters anymore, so there's no real demand for the albums either.  If you want to try to get a few dollars out of them, I'd list them on Ebay and see what they do.  You could do a straight auction or a buy it now with best offer.  As for the quarters, I honestly would just spend them.....they're going to be more trouble than they're worth to sell because no one really wants them anymore.  Sorry to keep piling on the bad news, but the situation is what it is.  There are great modern series to collect that will perform well......State Quarters are not one of them.  I sort of think of them like another "collectible" that was all the rage when the State Quarter series first started.......Beanie Babies.  They had their moment in the sun, and that moment's long gone and likely to never return.  I'd just spend the quarters, get what I could out of the albums on Ebay and cut my losses.

8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I think you may be able to get a few dollars for the albums, but not a whole lot.  As I stated previously, the State Quarters are pretty much a dead series.  They had their time, and that time is definitely done.  That will impact the demand for the albums as well....after all, people usually buy albums to prepare for a new collecting project, and almost no one is choosing to start a collection of State Quarters anymore, so there's no real demand for the albums either.  If you want to try to get a few dollars out of them, I'd list them on Ebay and see what they do.  You could do a straight auction or a buy it now with best offer.  As for the quarters, I honestly would just spend them.....they're going to be more trouble than they're worth to sell because no one really wants them anymore.  Sorry to keep piling on the bad news, but the situation is what it is.  There are great modern series to collect that will perform well......State Quarters are not one of them.  I sort of think of them like another "collectible" that was all the rage when the State Quarter series first started.......Beanie Babies.  They had their moment in the sun, and that moment's long gone and likely to never return.  I'd just spend the quarters, get what I could out of the albums on Ebay and cut my losses.

Thanks!

Don’t apologize for piling on bad news, if true...The truth hurts, sometimes.  That said, State quarters = Beanie Babies, certainly puts it into perspective!  

I was thinking of gifting them to my niece but that said, I believe, as suggested, by many, I’ll just spend the Qs, then try to get what I can for the albums.  

Anyone know, how these CSN albums compare to Dansco Album #7143 and how much would you ask for them?

Hello all,

Next up...
Worth saving, selling and/or spending, for face value?
Or what would you recommend a non-dealer, but potentially a collector, do with these coins?

Wheat pennies: 2 BIG jars of variety 1 and about 30 individual variety 2.
Jefferson nickels: (30) from 1939-42, non-wartime.
Statehood quarter (Gold): One 2000 P, Maryland.
Canadian coins: Mostly pennies, from 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s but also a 1950 nickel, five dimes (one 1942, four 1960s) & one 1959 quarter.
Mexican coins: Five Peso, three each of 50 & 20 cent pieces, from 70s & 80s.
Foreign and/or unidentifiable coins: Two dozen.

All well circulated.  
Pics available, if needed.

I appreciate your feedback!

Wheat cents  I have no idea what you mean by variety 1 and variety 2 but most wheat cents are worth about 2 to 3 cents apiece. there are some scarce/rare dates and mints in the early years and a few die varieties that have value.  Best suggestion would be to get a copy of A Guidebook of United States coins to see what to look for.  If you don't want to buy a copy check your local library they should have a copy.  If you do want your own you don't need the latest issue, you can pick up a copy a few years old on abebooks.com for $3.63 delivered.  Ignore the prices in the book but all the other information in it is good.  The prices can be used in a general way to indicate which coins are more valuable, but don't expect them to reflect real world values.

Jefferson nickels  1939 D or S would be good, other than that you have the start of a collection but no significant value most can be purchased retail for 25 cents or less apiece.

Gold state quarter keep it as a novelty or spend it it is considered just a damaged coin and is only worth face value

Canadian all common worth basically face value except the dimes and quarter are silver, 800 fine so worth a little less that US silver dimes or quarters would be.

Mexican probably all common 15 to 20 cents each RETAIL, selling pretty much worthless

The other foreign can't say without knowing what they are.  Foreign coins can make a good collection, especially collecting by type.  One coin per country is a common way to collect or chose a country and collect one coin of each type form it etc.  You can build a fairly large collection for very little money type collecting foreign.  The catalog to identify them is the real initial cost.  The catalogs for the 20th and 21st century run about $70 apiece new.  Once again abebooks is your friend here as older copies of each can be had delivered for under $4 apiece and that is quite a deal considering each catalog weighs three to five pounds.  Same comment about prices in the book as with the US coin guidebook.

If you want the foreign coins identified, post a group pic of obverses and reverses. I or someone else will tell you what they are. I love doing that stuff.