• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing UNC coins from plastic roll container

14 posts in this topic

I always cringe when I think that there hasn't been a roll container that opens so that we can take one coin off the roll at a time.  Has anyone found a good way to remove unc coins one by one that are purchased in plastic roll containers with screw off caps?  Even unscrewing the cap and tilting the roll will make all the coins shift which can reduce 2 grade points extremely fast.  Sigh.  

This method does not remove them one at a time, but it does help keep them from sliding and shifting in the tube. (I have only tried it with dimes, so I can't promise that it will work on any other size coin.):

Place a.cotton ball (or two, depending on how full the tube is)  into the mouth of the tube. Don't pack it tight, just use enough to keep the coins in place as you invert it on to a piece of felt or other soft cloth. Lift the tube slightly, then remove the cotton a bit at a time ( you may need tweezers) until all of the cotton is removed, and the coins are on the felt. Then,  carefully slide the tube off the stack of coins. 

Getting them back in without damage is another story. 

I have never liked or understood the use of those those tubes for uncirculated coins. There is, as you said, too much sliding and shifting, and chance for making more dings and scratches.

I have seen dealers take a customer's tube of Morgans and dump them out on a table with no padding whatsoever. Sure, they might have been only MS63s, but no one appreciates having someone turn them into MS62s unnecessarily.

I sent in a submission to NGC one time that was state quarters that I had hand picked over 2 years of searching. 125 coins were put into polyflips and had their little slip inserted for a bulk submission. When I got the coins back graded and slabbed there was a note from the grader. " Please use tubes for your next bulk submission".

Yes!! That was the last bulk submission I did. After that note I stayed at 60 to 70 coins and decided not to use the cheaper savings on a bulk submission again.

2 years of finding great MS68 and MS69 state quarters and they ask me to plow those beauties into a tube and then submit them.

CRAZY!!!!!!! :roflmao:

13 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

I sent in a submission to NGC one time that was state quarters that I had hand picked over 2 years of searching. 125 coins were put into polyflips and had their little slip inserted for a bulk submission. When I got the coins back graded and slabbed there was a note from the grader. " Please use tubes for your next bulk submission".

Yes!! That was the last bulk submission I did. After that note I stayed at 60 to 70 coins and decided not to use the cheaper savings on a bulk submission again.

2 years of finding great MS68 and MS69 state quarters and they ask me to plow those beauties into a tube and then submit them.

CRAZY!!!!!!! :roflmao:

Polyflips?!!  Oh, that decision is a disaster waiting to happen.  If we believe our coins have a higher value because of their condition, we should all pay an extra dollar for an airtight in order to protect them in their value. Otherwise, any small coin stored in a flip against other small coins in flips only seems to work when in a plastic container when loosely aligned and stationary.  I believe in coin encapsulation when the value is high.   Receiving any numerical grade is simply the reward for the care of the coins we send in to grading services. 

A polyflip is much better then cramming 40 or 50 coins in a tube and sending them 1000 miles to be re-dumped out and then graded!!

Maybe I am crazy but I spent too much time finding the best that I could and I want them to grade that well when NGC looks at them.

32 minutes ago, ngcmember2018 said:

Polyflips?!!  Oh, that decision is a disaster waiting to happen.  If we believe our coins have a higher value because of their condition, we should all pay an extra dollar for an airtight in order to protect them in their value.  Otherwise, any small coin stored in a flip against other small coins in flips only seems to work when in a plastic container when loosely aligned and stationary.  I believe in coin encapsulation when the value is high.

Polyflips are used for submissions to get the perfect coin encapsulated for future safety!!  I submit the best coins I find. 1000 coins in capsules would take up far more room than polyflips with the coins loose and banging around as I move cartons to get to what I am looking for. Further more -- polyflips are much better than 2"X2"'s as there are no staples to contend with.

19 hours ago, ngcmember2018 said:

They are dimes, as well. Thank you much.  I’ll marinade on this method a while beforehand.  One roll is a a complete set of 46-64.  They look never opened.  What a fragile thing... 

That sounds like so much fun!!!   Keep an eye out for varieties and full torches. :)

1 hour ago, Six Mile Rick said:

That sounds like so much fun!!!   Keep an eye out for varieties and full torches. :)

It sure will be :-)  I still think submitting coins in 2x2 flips is high risk for high valued coins.  A 2x2 flip doesn’t insure against additional surface marks when paired next to another 2x2 flip.  Weight and sliding/bouncing can even create marks reducing grade potential. :-(

5 hours ago, ngcmember2018 said:

It sure will be :-)  I still think submitting coins in 2x2 flips is high risk for high valued coins.  A 2x2 flip doesn’t insure against additional surface marks when paired next to another 2x2 flip.  Weight and sliding/bouncing can even create marks reducing grade potential. :-(

Pack the package tight so nothing can shift during shipping. :)