• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hair line scratches when evaluating a coin

7 posts in this topic

Dear NGC,

I recently acquired several envelopes of uncirculated mint set coins from 1971 to 2000.   I am using a 6X Loop and can see hairline scratches on a lot of coins, but some come out with hardly any at all.  I am quickly tempted to put the coins with hairline scratches, cuts, scuff marks straight into circulation so I can redeem them for cash.   Evaluating each coin can be very tricky when considering surface preservation and hairline scratches, as most of these occurred in the mint packaging.  My initial rule of thumb is that if there are only 1 to 2 nearly imperceptible marks within the direction of the devices on the surface of any coin, then I put it in capsule to consider sending it in for grading.   Anything else I am now considering throwing in the circulated pile, but there are also coins with one deep mark somewhere when the rest of the coins surface may be flawless. And other coins with microscopic hair line marks all over the surface that don’t always affect the look of the coin.  Still valuing the character of such coins with limited marks makes me wonder how subjective a coin may look to anyone.  And in the world of coin grading, I don’t know how subjective each mark, scuff, and so on is considered.  Although, it seems subjective per opinion.  So, I’m asking for yours.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Hope I’m making my issue clear.  So, what factors if any pertaining to hair lines and marks can still exist with coins that grade high?

Included are photos of a 1987 P Washington 25c (nearly imperceptible but may have more than 3), and a Lincoln 1c (tiny hairlines over the whole coin). And I will also include the last photo of a 1987d Lincoln on a separate post below.  These mark examples may show the ambiguity I’ve mentioned when luster and eye appeal seem promising.

E5F1A898-D5E6-42F6-951E-B3FC2ECF1755.jpeg

51798F32-14CD-461E-A6F3-4064A1EEE8D1.jpeg

EA971A2F-B612-4A76-BAF2-03DF2AF68303.jpeg

D765C55F-6627-489D-B47A-D797DEB59B2F.jpeg

F3790D4E-8FF0-4B4F-8020-E7728E8DC7A4.jpeg

A72C7A56-AA70-4896-A3DE-6E5431B8F922.jpeg

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. We would not be able to offer an opinion on coins via images as it is very difficult to see any potential flaws from straight on. I have provide a few links that may assist you in determining what to look for. Please keep in mind that it is best to evaluate your coins in a dark and controlled environment with a single light source. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5411/improperly-cleaned/

https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/details_grading_brochure.pdf

For the most part, I agree with Matt. Mint luster and such are hard to discern in photographs. What hit me immediately, though, is the '81 Lincoln cent. I've never seen a cent with its rim so 'beat up' as this one. Even if it hasn't been out in circulation for long, it spent way too much time knocking together with other pennies in a bank bag. The rim's condition is apparent from either side of the coin.

RRH

These coins came out of unc mint sets that were in a plastic sleeve inside of the envelopes.  They had been together in a plastic bin with nearly a hundred other mint set envelopes side by side.  They were being sold for $5, so I took a chance on finding a gem or two among them.  Boy, it was a job cutting the plastic away, lifting it up, and allowing each coin to slide out onto an airtight capsule for evaluation.  I agree that they look inconsiderate for grading.  Here is one 1996d lincoln I may send in..... 

Photo Sep 29, 9 46 15 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 29, 9 49 10 PM.jpg

I have spent a lot of cash sending in coins I thought would grade high just to find out I didn't evaluate the coin correctly.  I'm sure many collectors may have done the same thing, initially.  Well, the disappointment and anger (of spending money on those coins) has made me change the way I initially evaluate a coin.  I started looking at coins with a 40x, then a 10x.  Now, I evaluate with a carson 6x loupe which can be lifted to go way beyond 6x, and to evaluate each coin as Matt advised in a well controlled room with one light source.  These two things have helped me to submit smaller orders that better reflect the conditions of declared coin values.

All you need is a 8X and proper lighting. A 40X is way too high. Once you learn what to look for then you will get it down pat.

Both coins you have pics for early on are not worth grading fees costs The 96-D looks nice but will need preservation done as well before you send it or when it is sent in. (MS67rd or so)

Rick