• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

South Africa Mint issued QE II 1995 commemorative set – the Gold Sovereign, Silver & a Nickel crown did not receive NGC grading as NGC claim ‘no COA’ yet legal tender by SA Mint!
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Hi Matt and NGC Team

A while back I sent off the above Royal Visit of QEII to South Africa commemorative set only to have the gold Sovereign and the two crowns come back with the grading 'Ineligible/ No COA'.

Herewith the grading results from NGC of two of the three coins (The Gold Sovereign I have not included the number but had the same grading result description):

image.png.08a4cf072041374def059a984779b8e5.pngimage.png.e9ae3f14d3f041804f5e1611bdb38987.png

Below is link to a picture of the issued coin set in the top left of the picture with the full set of coins. The South Africa Mint used stock they had of older coins as part of the set and minted three new coins to complete the set. These coins consisted of a newly struck 1995 gold Sovereign (that is stamped with 'SA' as depicted in the below picture) with two new crowns dated 1995 (refer to the picture that show the crowns  flanking either side of the gold sovereign). One crown is made of silver and the second crown is made of nickel. The gold Sovereign and two crowns were minted and issued by the South Africa Mint to a selected Dignitaries during the QEII visit to South Africa. The QEII also received a set of these coins. The Effigy is of QEII and the reverse on the gold Sovereign is the usual St George slaying the Dragon  (with the usual' 'SA' initials indicating South Africa).  The two crowns have QEII effigy on the obverse and the usual ER on the reverse flanked by supporting wording  and South Africa.

https://www.randcoin.co.za/en/item/6994-royal-visit-by-queen-elizabeth-ii-to-south-africa-set

Although the gold Sovereign and two crowns is, in my opinion, very poorly made and not to the standard we are used to seeing coming from the SA mint, they nevertheless were minted by the South Africa Mint and should be graded by NGC.

Here are the pictures of the empty set case with the inside showing SA Mint and the outside (Box is black with no writing on the outside):

image.thumb.png.2db723808821eb3aa489f9d88735fb67.pngimage.thumb.png.b901e055731abe488c80ebf5e927ab19.png

In the 2018 2nd edition South Africa MTB Coin reference book on page 263/4 you can clearly see the pictures of the obverse and reverse of the gold sovereign and crowns. Reference numbers are NE22 (Silver Crown, NE24(nickel Crown) and NE23 (Gold Sovereign). An estimated 30 complete sets were issued to various Dignitaries.

image.png.766617662b724b447e2d44da03616719.png

Would NGC please review the three coins in question for grading. Many South Africa Collectors would be most appreciative if the NGC Graders would accept the three coins (Sovereign and two crowns) to be graded in the future.

I look forward to your kind response.

Regards,

Morgan

Edited by morganthebrave
grammar

• Administrator

Thank you for your patience. Please submit the two coins back to NGC for grading on a new submission form. Please write, "Attention Dave Camire," in bold letters across the form. Please provide any documentation you may have along with the submission. 

Here is the submission entery note awaiting the kind review of Dave Camire:

image.png.57dd336524a45448742bb94988d2d8c8.png

To aid Dave and other NGC graders in coming to a conclusion, I sent them a free printed copy of the MTB coin catalog on South Africa coins (2018 - 20) as the information in the catalog does provide a health account of the three QEII South Africa Mint struck coins / medals. The SA Mint have also verified they did strike them.

So far all compliments to Matt for his continuous assistance on this website. This method of contacting NGC has been most helpful and so far for the majority of inquiries. Thank you MATT from all Numismatists ^^

Thank you 'Just Bob' for the cool comment. There was a  limited amount of these sets  handed out to Officials during the QEII visit to South Africa. Estimated around 30 sets only so that would make the three coins rare. :)

2 hours ago, morganthebrave said:

There was a  limited amount of these sets  handed out to Officials during the QEII visit to South Africa. Estimated around 30 sets only so that would make the three coins rare. :)

If you don't mind me asking: how did you manage to acquire yours?

1 hour ago, morganthebrave said:

Hi Just Bob

I was fortunate to obtain a original set (comes in a red holder with several other mint state coins) from a fellow Numismatist which I am very grateful of also paying a fair market price for the coin set.

Very cool! Congratulations on the score and the grades!

Sorry...it came in a black holder....along with severally unc older type coins of South Africa that the SA Mint had in stock still. This made up a set but their are only three unique coins...a gold sovereign, a nickel (crown) and a silver (crown).