• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not getting back the same coin sent in?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Just an FYI here. Some dude on FB is claiming he sent a coin to NGC for grading and they sent him back a totally different coin. I have screen shots if anyone needs to see them. I'd say since a founder at PCGS was just fired this claim could hurt NGC in the midst of what all is about to come down and since this is where my loyalty lies felt I should mention it.  Have a great day.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Just an FYI here. Some dude on FB is claiming he sent a coin to NGC for grading and they sent him back a totally different coin. I have screen shots if anyone needs to see them. I'd say since a founder at PCGS was just fired this claim could hurt NGC in the midst of what all is about to come down and since this is where my loyalty lies felt I should mention it.  Have a great day.

Hi Karen, I hope not. I am not sending coins to be RIPPED off! Its work finding rare coins and these coin companies should screen there people. You don't get to charge high prices and then have your coins ripped off.  It is why I take pictures of my coins as well. I am new at this but I will not, will not be taken advantage of. That person stole to sell or auction the coin for him or herself. Now I am wondering should I be apart of any coin grading  company.

Thanks

Lee

37 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

P.S. --- I like their holder as well ---- NGC ===  ^^

49 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Over 1000 coins sent to NGC from me.   ---- Never a switch out on a coin!!  

Some worth $10 + and many top pops worth over $1000 each. I do trust their honesty and respect them for their true grading!!

Rick

Thank you Rick, you eased my mind a bit. I just joined NGC. I have come across some rare coins I believe and I sent them off to John Wexler for a determination on his expertise, then I will know if I need to send off to a 3rd party such as NGC. Its a downer to hear someone switching coins, to me its a form of theft

Edited by LeeAdd

Lee,

I have been with NGC for quite some time --- since 2004 I think. Before then I was at PCGS building a SWEET Morgan set for around 5 years. Yes, I take pictures of the coins I send in but mostly to see what the camera sees that I am missing. It helps me make a grading judgement call. I have never been taken by either company but have heard stories (maybe 3) over the past 15 years. More than likely from someone that thought they had the million dollar coin --- only to find out it was fake or detailed. It is what it is and I trust NGC over PCGS when it comes to my Full Step Nickels, Full Torch Dimes, and Full Bell Line Franks. ;)

Edited by Six Mile Rick

In my opinion NGC is harsh when it comes to detail on full step nickles, full torch dimes, and full bell lines. That insures that it is what it is!!. PCGS does tilt the scale a little and slide coins through with these listings that really don't pass for the sets I am building.

Wait a minute now, I didn't say it was true, only that this guy is saying it happened. He is new, like inherited his collection a month or so ago, but he showed pictures. I only want somebody to know so they can be prepared should dude make contact. Plus with the happenings with ole boy at PCGS this past week I figure there has to be some governing agency that is going to be watching all these companies that grade and attribute. Anyway, here are the screenshots from that day. I will look and see if anything has been added.

Screenshot_2018-09-21-18-40-21.png

Screenshot_2018-09-21-18-40-17.png

Screenshot_2018-09-21-18-40-26.png

Screenshot_2018-09-21-18-40-33.png

2 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

P.S. --- I like their holder as well ---- NGC ===  ^^

Hey, I've never sent one in anywhere, but if I did it would be to either NGC or ANACS and ANACS only because there's no membership fee. But nobody will see me in a PCGS OR ANACS chatroom because I am a very loyal human and my loyalty does lie right here. Honestly I was hoping an admin would see this and remove it and pass on the info. Of course I wasn't aware they are such a huge company and now I suppose one guys coin being mistaken for another isn't going to effect them enough to bother with anyway.

1 hour ago, LeeAdd said:

Hi Karen, I hope not. I am not sending coins to be RIPPED off! Its work finding rare coins and these coin companies should screen there people. You don't get to charge high prices and then have your coins ripped off.  It is why I take pictures of my coins as well. I am new at this but I will not, will not be taken advantage of. That person stole to sell or auction the coin for him or herself. Now I am wondering should I be apart of any coin grading  company.

Thanks

Lee

I think you are fine. If he did get something back different I am sure it was just in error. Those people that work there aren't allowed to be involved with any coins outside of work. 

@LeeAdd NGC gets sent coins that range from a few bucks to hundreds of thousands and I haven't heard of people getting coins stolen or switched out.
The person on facebook......I can hardly understand him/her.........but what they show and claim, honestly looks like they may have had the coin conserved but it looks like the same coin

8 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Over 1000 coins sent to NGC from me.   ---- Never a switch out on a coin!!  

Some worth $10 + and many top pops worth over $1000 each. I do trust their honesty and respect them for their true grading!!

Rick

Same here Rick.

14 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Same here Rick.

And same here with me as well....I've never had a problem like this either.  And, I think the guy who was saying that NGC switched a coin on him actually doesn't know what he's talking about.  Like Conder, I see the same coin in both photos, but under different lighting conditions.  I've only had one issue with NGC's certification since I started submitting to them in 2010 ( it was with a variety attribution, nothing like a suspected switch) and they're actually fixing that up for me right now.  Like you, Karen, I'm loyal to them.  I love NGC.  They've given me the ability to have a little vestpocket sales venture so I can keep collecting coins while I'm working on my Doctorate, they've awarded me a Registry Award last year for my favorite coin collection I've ever done (my birds are dinosaurs collection), they've created this wonderful community that I get to be a part of......NGC has done nothing but enhance numismatics for me and, to me, they are simply the best TPG, no question.  And, like you Rick, I really dig their holders as well!  One of the best ways to protect and display a coin that I know of.........I just wish they'd give us regular guys more opportunities to get our coins slabbed in the black Retro Holders instead of reserving them for the big, bulk submission guys, but that's a very minor issue.  NGC is great, and they are the only TPG that gets my business. 

I think they switch them....can't prove it...wish I could.  Like with this recent 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof coins...I had two Baltimore releases I personally dropped off and they were spectacular coins.  Both came back a 69.  Right.  I wonder how the big boys end up with all the 70's?  Hmmmm.  The difference between a 69 and a 70 is thousands of dollars.   I'll bet the big companies will pay a nice fee for found 70's.  This is my opinion and like I said, I can't prove this but it is REALLY strange.  I've been a customer for many years and I've suspected it but how do they control chain of custody?  Are all these submissions audited?  I've just lost thousands of dollars and it's really disheartening. 

Edited by harleyboy97

Yeah, 

I don't think they switch the coin. I think he is more upset about not getting what he asked for. 

About the coin cleaning, NGC does not clean, I think they perform some type of preservation which by the way I am eggstatic about. Why would anyone complain about that? 

I am very happy with the NGC service.