• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint error, or bad luck? Or both?

11 posts in this topic

I just received the new 2018 Palladium American Eagle. This is my first big coin purchase and I would like to get it graded. When I looked at it closely it seems there is a problem with the coin at the one and two o’clock sections near the R and T of liberty.

I was wondering if some more experienced numismatists could tell me if I should return this to the mint, or continue to prep it to get graded? Would this constitute a “good” mint error? Thank you all very much in advance and thank you for helping this noob.

Sosakan

25A3C27A-C0D1-494D-B716-CA08412D940C.jpeg

I can't really see what you are talking about at 1:00 in this picture. If there is some clutter in the field then the coin will grade 69 or even lower.

Now figure out if you want to add grading fees in your cost.

Thanks for the response Mike!

I've highlighted the area and cropped the photo so it is easier to see. It is right above the E R T on/near the rim. The fields look good to my untrained eye, but this I was unsure of...

C24B0EE6-2DDB-4D71-9C57-9D5170FFF1DB.jpeg

My guess, from the pictures only, is that this is grease strike-through roughness, as-made. This is a very common occurrence on silver eagles and other modern bullion and commems. It normally won't hurt the grade, but when choosing between 69 and 70, it will usually prevent a 70.

Thank you all for your replies, I contacted the US mint and they told me that there was not enough stock to make an exchange. I guess I will try my luck with NGC and hope for the best.

Thank you all very much for your help if I remember, I will try to update you guys on what happens. 

Just wanted to provide an update. I just saw the grading for this coin, my first ever submission.

it got a PF70 UC ER!

i am very pleased...and quite surprised, I’d have pegged it lower, as did you guys, go figure.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

So a PF-70 with damaged rims.  OK...  Personal opinion, NGC blew it.

1 minute ago, Sosakan said:

I do not disagree! I only had it graded because it’s an investment. I personally don’t buy all the grading hoopla.

Ive seen a lot of similar damage on pf70s on eBay, it seems par for the course. I just don’t get it. I wish I’d have sent it to PCGS, but they are even more expensive than NGC.:(