• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unveiling the coin history

3 posts in this topic

Hello guys, 

I have few coins in my possession and I just can't figure out their dated time, era or their estimated value. I know its somewhat linked to Arabic (Due to Kalima engravings).

I hope anyone can shed more light to it? 

I have attached their pics.

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

Stylistically it looks Moghul or some other form of northern Indo-Pakistani. Which kind that might be, I am not sure. My main cue is to look for the zarb (I don't know why it's called this, because it's actually a deep d, ra, ba, which I would pronounce 'darb' but with the first part way back in my throat; must be dialectical) or zuriba ('minted in' as you probably know). When I can spot that, and can read a city's name after it, I have success. In this case I think the zarb is at the very top of the first image, which is no help at all. If the word below it were the mint city name, I can't make that out either. But if I were going to do a deep dive, my dive would begin in northern India/Pakistan, especially if the coin is very thick and about 20mm wide. That's a typical size for silver rupees of that region. Since we are not furnished diameter or weight, it limits answers.

Hey JKK, 

First of all thank you for the prompt response (not so from my end. Apologies). 

The diameter of the coin is 2.2cm (+/- 0.1 cm).

The thickness of the coin is 0.5cm (+/- 0.1 cm). 

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the weight of the coin since I don't have any measurement instrument of that precision.