Unveiling the coin history
1 1

3 posts in this topic

2 posts

Hello guys, 

I have few coins in my possession and I just can't figure out their dated time, era or their estimated value. I know its somewhat linked to Arabic (Due to Kalima engravings).

I hope anyone can shed more light to it? 

I have attached their pics.

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

1,637 posts

Stylistically it looks Moghul or some other form of northern Indo-Pakistani. Which kind that might be, I am not sure. My main cue is to look for the zarb (I don't know why it's called this, because it's actually a deep d, ra, ba, which I would pronounce 'darb' but with the first part way back in my throat; must be dialectical) or zuriba ('minted in' as you probably know). When I can spot that, and can read a city's name after it, I have success. In this case I think the zarb is at the very top of the first image, which is no help at all. If the word below it were the mint city name, I can't make that out either. But if I were going to do a deep dive, my dive would begin in northern India/Pakistan, especially if the coin is very thick and about 20mm wide. That's a typical size for silver rupees of that region. Since we are not furnished diameter or weight, it limits answers.

2 posts

Hey JKK, 

First of all thank you for the prompt response (not so from my end. Apologies). 

The diameter of the coin is 2.2cm (+/- 0.1 cm).

The thickness of the coin is 0.5cm (+/- 0.1 cm). 

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the weight of the coin since I don't have any measurement instrument of that precision.