• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting for vintage or value

2 posts in this topic

I'm very new to collecting, I mainly started with just pocket change. But this year I started collecting to complete or start albums something to give to my children after I'm gone.  Here's my question do people collect for sets/albums or just for the metal value?   Or do people do both?  My intent is to leave them with items that if they find them selves in need of money they have collection (not family collection pasted down) of things ( like I buy vintage Hot Wheels and Barbie items) they can sell later in life for money.  

The answer is all of the above, and that you should collect what you most enjoy or which otherwise serves your purpose.

The problem with collecting to bequeath is that the nicer your coins, the less likely it is your heirs fully apprehend their value. Assuming all your heirs were very careful and intelligent, you would buy the most expensive slabbed high grade pieces you could afford, because that's likeliest to appreciate most in value. Most heirs aren't careful or intelligent. My FIL divided his collection four ways; four kids. One sold her share. Two others have done nothing with them. Only my wife's portion was carefully sorted, catalogued, and otherwise conserved. I have to assume that the other three got some really nice coins and have zero idea what they got, and would probably just take the whole bunch to a dealer and get ripped off (none of them are terribly intelligent to begin with).

If you want to make sure they have something they can get market value for, and that there is far less risk of them foolishly selling for peanuts, buy them junk silver in bulk. Or junk gold in bulk. If they sell that because they need money, it's no big deal. However, best hope that they have adequate security for it.