• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes the Pictures are Easy - My newest Moroccan Coins

7 posts in this topic

Sometimes the stars align, and the pictures are easy to take. That usually isn't the case, but this morning the camera, the lights, the coins... they just made things easy. Of course, a cup of my favorite tea probably helped as well, haha! 

Anyways, for your viewing pleasure, here are my newest Moroccan purchases. They all arrived this week.

The first coin is a 1/2 Dirham from AH1317 (which is 1899 AD, for the Western audience). This tiny little coin only weighs 1.45 g, and is considerably smaller even than a US dime. It was minted in Paris, which you can tell by the position of the arrowheads - on the Paris minted coins, the arrowheads point inwards. On the coins minted in Berlin, they point outwards. PCGS graded this coin MS-65, but I think 64 is more appropriate. 

The second coin is a 1 Dirham from AH1316 (which is 1898 AD). This coin weighs about 2.9 g, and is roughly the same size as a US dime, but a bit thinner. This one was also minted in Paris. PCGS gave it a 65, and I agree. 

I love the Moroccan coins because of their geometric designs. The arrows and stars are just cool. The third coin takes that to a whole new level - there isn't much here besides intricate geometric designs. This coin is in an unusual Russian slab, which they graded MS-63 (and I agree with their grade). There is some lovely toning on the obverse, and plenty of luster under the toning. There is quite a bit of die polish on the obverse. 

So, I hope you like my new coins! 

IMG_3376.JPGIMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPGIMG_3390.JPGimg_3373.jpgIMG_3374.JPG

Very well done (thumbsu. This very small coin shows full strike detail expected. 10 Francs appears to be a larger coin and I'm just not familiar with these to comment but nice purchases ! I keep saying I will start imaging my coins but even more than a good camera I think lighting is the key.