• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should this one have been designated "CAMEO"?

8 posts in this topic

I just bought this 1967 SMS Lincoln, and according to the seller's photos, this one looks like it should have been graded at least a "CAMEO".  Sorry, the only photos I have are from the seller.

1967 SMS 1C NGC MS67RD-OBV.JPG

1967 SMS 1C NGC MS67RD-REV.JPG

Those photos make it look like it should be CAM, but there are many ways to make a photo look better than the coin really does. Wait till you get it in hand, and then you can evaluate it better. 

Possibly, the mirrors have too many flowlines?  I looked up the certificate number, and the photos NGC has for this coin doesn't look very Cameo, so I guess I'll just have to wait to evaluate it.  I'm glad to have gotten it for a decent price, so there isn't any risk.

1 hour ago, dleonard-3 said:

Possibly, the mirrors have too many flowlines?  I looked up the certificate number, and the photos NGC has for this coin doesn't look very Cameo, so I guess I'll just have to wait to evaluate it.  I'm glad to have gotten it for a decent price, so there isn't any risk.

The pictures that NGC takes of every coin are usually quite bad. You can’t tell anything from them other than maybe some very basic details. You certainly can’t reliably grade from them or infer anything about luster, reflectivity, or toning. 

I got this coin in the mail today, and I must say...........WOW!  This coin is really nice, and the photos really do a pretty good job of showing the real "in hand" look of the coin.  I took a few other photos with my phone, with light sourced from different sides so you can see that the devices have full frostyness.  There is some gorgeous starburst satiny luster in the fields that (in my opinion) shouldn't take away from the cameo designation

20180904_172300-1.jpg

20180904_172243-1.jpg

20180904_172345-1.jpg