• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any U.S Gold coinage enthusiasts? Any recent acquisitions?

12 posts in this topic

Recently, I have been working on sets of $2.5 quarter eagles, $5 half eagles, and $10 eagles and I must say, there’s something about these series (No Motto dates/antebellum period)  that strikes me as completely fascinating. I strictly collect gold only and hope to oneday move onto double eagles. Has anyone else been adding to their collections in any of these series? 

There are a few very knowledgable experts in those sets that post often.  This is a great time to pick up high quality generic gold as the premiums are way down. Tell us more about your collections and goals. 

2 hours ago, Christiandc94 said:

Very nice!! My goals are to arrange a collection of undervalued/under appreciated dates and variations. Also, I am very interested in southern mints mostly.

The southern mints tend to be the most appreciated and expensive issues for many gold series these days, ironically.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Christiandc94 said:

Very nice!! My goals are to arrange a collection of undervalued/under appreciated dates and variations. Also, I am very interested in southern mints mostly.

There are a lot of date/MM combinations with prices which are "low" (by current US collecting standards) for both the mintage and survival.  Most (if not all) are in the Liberty/Coronet QE, HE and eagle series.  Most of these low mintage coins are legitimately scarce (unlike most other supposedly scarce US coins which are almost always common) but usually aren't available in the exacting quality demanded by most US collectors today.  This is likely to work against the price prospects.

As for variations, if you are referring to die varieties I have never heard of anyone collecting any of the post 1838 series by die variety.  The earlier ones yes because all are shorter and it's evident from auction listings and reference guides.  It may happen somewhat for the Indian Head QE because the entire series is very common and easy to complete for anyone who has the money but the Liberty/Coronet is scarce enough as a generic date/MM.

Interesting collecting goals, this is my latest addition, they only come ever 4-5 years now as the remaining holes are very tough.  I also have an affinity for Classic Head half eagles as I like the design, short series and underappreciated (dare I say completely ignored) by collectors.  Also attached the last one of those I got (I think that was the last one I got (shrug))

1908s20dobv.jpg

1908s20drev.jpg

1837p5dobv.jpg

1837p5drev.jpg

10 hours ago, jtryka said:

I also have an affinity for Classic Head half eagles as I like the design, short series and underappreciated (dare I say completely ignored) by collectors.  Also attached the last one of those I got (I think that was the last one I got (shrug))

There isn't a single US series that can remotely be considered "ignored".

The prices on some US series are relatively cheap versus other US coinage but then, there is no reason to believe that every US coin or series should sell for a price which reflects its relative scarcity across the board or at a level that it's proponents think it should.  If this were to occur, then an even higher percentage of US coins would be a lot less or completely unaffordable to an even bigger proportion of the US collector base.  And in making this comment, it should be obvious to everyone that US coins are already the least affordable coinage on the planet, by a substantial proportion.

Here are some of the reasons for this price variance:

One: The design is not very well liked

Two: The coins don't exist in the quality which collectors disproportionately demand today.  This almost certainly applies to Classic head gold and to the Liberty head denominations per my earlier post.  Since US collectors consider such trivial differences in quality so important on coins which by any sensible standard are extremely common, there is no reason to believe that most coins which don't exist in this quality will sell for prices reflective of absolute scarcity.

Three: The series is a long one making it cost prohibitive to most collectors.  This applies to the Liberty gold denominations, even for sub-series.  Another one where it applies is Liberty Seated half dimes, dimes, quarters, halves and dollars  Most collectors also apparently find these series uninteresting and many of these dates are disproportionately scarce, even under traditional (as in not contrived) US standards.