• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was this graded pf68 and not mint error?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Recently got this back. Had it graded for a mint error and came back PF68. I was told it was not significant enough to be graded a mint error even tho it’s an error that happened at the mint while the coin was being made. Any thoughts thanks. 

5731EA8C-E9F7-4CB2-9EDB-378EB0DDE50F.jpeg

43E7F3A6-1BF4-49CC-8EA8-7FB74E4A66FE.jpeg

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. NGC will not attribute a mint error designation to a coin if the error is deemed to be too minor. While the error may have occurred during the minting process, we are not able to attribute all errors. Please note that the designation is at the discretion of our grading team. 

Matt, thank you for your reply and this is in no way directed at you, I just kinda find it funny how the same term for minor mint error is thrown around so loosely when not even two months ago I had the minorest mint error obverse struck thru processed through NGC and it seems that the error I am presenting now supersedes that 10 fold. AM I WRONG? Pics included of the other “minor error” I had sent this one back into NGC because it was graded a MS70 and clearly it was not. I thought at first it was fake so I contacted the NGC fraud department. 

7F7BAED1-5E2E-4A4E-8F61-1A2794071404.jpeg

51C27E7A-F7F9-4869-848E-84F782F046D9.jpeg

I would love nothing more then for NGC to say “we might have overlooked some key components while reviewing your coin for a mint error. We would please like you to resubmit the coin to us at no charge so that we may take another look and possibly apply the appropriate labeling. Thank you so much and sorry for any inconvenience. We thank you for being a loyal customer through all of this confusion. Sincerely NGC staff. “  I guess these kinds of things only happen in a perfect world..............

Can you or anyone please breakdown the definition of a minor mint error because I’m obviously having a hard time understanding what it means and examples of what would be deemed not fit to be graded as such would be very much appreciated. Seeing coins be classified as not significant enough and others that are even less signicant be graded is very confusing for me as a collector and as a customer. When I put together an order, I am basing my submissions on what I’ve previously sent in to be graded. If I can’t use that as a guide line when preparing my submissions then it’s a craps shoot every time and that seems unacceptable. Anyone? 

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. The first gold coin had impurities on the surface that toned. We do not consider these mint errors. If a piece of debris gets in between the dies and creates a void on the coin or gets struck into it (as one of the photos show) then we would treat it as a mint error. In some cases, our experts are not able to determine the original designation, grade, attribution of a coin via images, we will request that it be sent back in to evaluate free of charge. Our experts were able to determine that both examples were attributed correctly, therefore this complimentary service was not offered. 

14 minutes ago, Matt G said:

Thank you for your question. The first gold coin had impurities on the surface that toned. We do not consider these mint errors. If a piece of debris gets in between the dies and creates a void on the coin or gets struck into it (as one of the photos show) then we would treat it as a mint error. In some cases, our experts are not able to determine the original designation, grade, attribution of a coin via images, we will request that it be sent back in to evaluate free of charge. Our experts were able to determine that both examples were attributed correctly, therefore this complimentary service was not offered. 

even if the first coin was conserved there would be a silver looking piece zigzagged a little longer then the length of the D struck into the gold planchet causing the blue then purple toning on a .9999 fine gold coin. i strongly feel this deserves a closer look. we all know pure gold does not tone like this and there must be something else going on. can you further assist me? 

• Administrator

Please send the coin in on a new submission form. Please be sure to complete the form including the declared value, shipping address, etc. Please notate in large bold letters, "Grader Review - Please evaluate for mint error." Our experts will evaluate the coin again and attribute if incorrect. Please note that you will be responsible for the return shipping and handling fee if the attribution does not change. Thank you

2 hours ago, Matt G said:

Please send the coin in on a new submission form. Please be sure to complete the form including the declared value, shipping address, etc. Please notate in large bold letters, "Grader Review - Please evaluate for mint error." Our experts will evaluate the coin again and attribute if incorrect. Please note that you will be responsible for the return shipping and handling fee if the attribution does not change. Thank you

That sounds like a wonderful plan, I do appreciate you taking the time to see this through. I will be sending it in shortly. I will let you know when it is sent out. Cheers 

2 hours ago, matthew26 said:

That sounds like a wonderful plan, I do appreciate you taking the time to see this through. I will be sending it in shortly. I will let you know when it is sent out. Cheers 

it is sent out. you will have it by Tuesday.  thank you again 

Just out of curiosity: Why was (is) it so important to have the error noted on the label? Are you an error collector? Do you have a custom registry set of errors? Just wondering. hm

Just so you know: This question is in no way intended to be negative. It just seemed to be very important to you to have it noted on the label, and it made me curious.

(Or maybe I am just nosy.)

22 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Just out of curiosity: Why was (is) it so important to have the error noted on the label? Are you an error collector? Do you have a custom registry set of errors? Just wondering. hm

Just so you know: This question is in no way intended to be negative. It just seemed to be very important to you to have it noted on the label, and it made me curious.

(Or maybe I am just nosy.)

no negativity taken, all questions are welcome. I LOVE NOSY!!!!!!! lol,  yes i am collecting 100$ gold high relief errors. i find them very unique and rare. I can't wait to see what the 2019 will look like. you can see the 2015 i have already, then i wait till the 2019 then search high and low and prob order many from the mint. Im disabled and home all day. i really enjoy collecting and trying hard to get a decent collection to start showing at events. I guess what it all comes down to is I'm trying hard to have a life with some passion, even tho it is coins.  thanks for your curiosity (NO CATS WERE KILLED or HARMED IN THE MAKEING OF THIS EMAIL)..LOL (****curiosity killed the cat***)   LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE 

So.................what was the outcome?  Curious minds want to know!                                                                                                                                   

30 minutes ago, Imus B. Clectin said:

I sent the coin back in and stated if the coin gets conserved you would be able to clearly see a divot where the center of the toning starts. In response I was told after the review that it is an error that happened at the mint but to insignificant to label as such. Never the less i stopped sending coins into NGC and choose to hold all for the future in hopes of a new grading system that ensures the correct grade be given. As you see in my earlier post with the 2015 mint error and how it was a graded 70. To many incorrect grading being done and it just seems like a money grab at this point. But I still would love someday this coin get the appropriate attribution 

31 minutes ago, Imus B. Clectin said: