• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Dollars - grade or not

5 posts in this topic

Knowing nothing else about them, answer is almost surely no. Doesn't mean they aren't valuable, just means odds are against any of them justifying spending $20-25 getting them slabbed, especially if they are circulated.

Concerning the Eisenhower  dollars: since you stated that they are circulated, we can likely assume that there are no proof or mint set coins, which were created specifically for collectors. That means that they are actually not silver, but are copper-nickel clad to a core of pure copper. (If any of them have "S" mint marks, they could be 40 percent silver, but a "D" mint mark, or no mint Mark would almost certainly mean that they are copper-nickel.) While they are no longer found in circulation very often, they are not really rare. They may carry a bit of a premium over face value, but probably not much at all. I think that if I had that many,  I would spend at least some of them, just to watch the reactions of the sales clerks.

The Kennedy halves are a bit different. From 1965 to 1970, they were minted in 40 percent silver, so those years  actually do carry a small premium. That premium is obviously influenced by the spot price of silver. The later years were minted in  the  same clad composition as the dollars. 

As far as having them graded, I agree that they are probably not worth the price of the fees and shipping.

Cool attic find, though.