• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I dreaming? Unreal!!1962 DD/O error!

14 posts in this topic

Ok so I went to a local antique n junk store today and bought 3 coins, paid $1 for All 3 coins a silver 1934 Vatican 10 lire, a 1950 Irish rabbit Eire silver (dime) and THIS beauty!!! A 1962 D Lincoln copper penny weighing 3.4g AU condition Red Red Red Deluxe with luster Error! It has very strong doubling of date, off center, with a straight clipped planchet! My question is. Is this THE/A super rare two errors in one, a premium ultra rare error I believe it is? Am I in shock? Is this what I think it is? Is this what I hope it is? Photos do not show how red and beautiful this is! Shines and dances beautifully! Am I dreaming? Any feedback Please Sincerely, Capone1929

IMG_20180816_144512.jpg

IMG_20180816_144546.jpg

IMG_20180816_144522.jpg

IMG_20180816_150855.jpg

If anything, I may see a little mechanical doubling on the date. A true DDO would have a date that looked closer to this 1972 date. It does look like maybe a clipped planchet tho'. 

DDO Date.jpg

I'm no expert on the minting process, but I don't know if that raised ridge at the bottom of the shoulder would be there on a clipped planchet. ( I know it is there on a normal coin, I am just not sure it would be there if there was no collar against it to make the metal "flow" up into the die.) Look at the edge under magnification, and see if it looks like it might have been filed or scraped.

I don't see any doubling in the date, either.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I'm no expert on the minting process, but I don't know if that raised ridge at the bottom of the shoulder would be there on a clipped planchet. ( I know it is there on a normal coin, I am just not sure it would be there if there was no collar against it to make the metal "flow" up into the die.) Look at the edge under magnification, and see if it looks like it might have been filed or scraped.

I don't see any doubling in the date, either.

No way no how was it filed scraped or tooled in any way!  Whatever happened it happened at the Mint during Mint process! And as for the date it does look similar to that

1 hour ago, Capone1929 said:

No way no how was it filed scraped or tooled in any way!  Whatever happened it happened at the Mint during Mint process! And as for the date it does look similar to that

Ok so I looked at NGC new article by David W. Lange and it is or seems to be mechanical doubling, so I stand corrected there! As for the clipping it definitely does not look scraped, tooled, grinded, or anything of that nature as the original luster is also still on the edge it looks almost like a sandwich with stuff in between as if flowing! The first pic not good, it makes it look smooth it actually flows looks liquid like with the frosty luster still on even the flowing part! Also the collar appears  like it is unaffected outer part higher than inner on edge could not have been filed down or ground with inner part inside and outer is higher if you understand what I'm trying to say! Just some more pics! Thank you for your replies, Capone1929

IMG_20180817_101315.jpg

IMG_20180817_101254.jpg

IMG_20180817_100653.jpg

15345244471781416255249.jpg

5 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong.

Sorry Bob if I come across that way wasn't implying you were wrong or anything of that nature, so I apologise if it seemed that way, I actually was wanting to just let you know a little more of what it looked like under my loop, so maybe with the extra pics and info you may have another opinion or thoughts! I value your feedback, response, opinion, and insight. I respect and appreciate it as well. So please forgive me if I offended you in any way. That being said, would you then be leaning more towards a straight clipped planchet error? If so and it is, possible value? It is in very nice AU condition. Thank you, Sincerely, Capone1929

No, worries. I wasn't offended, so no apology necessary.

As for the coin, the new pics make the "ridge" that I thought I saw disappear, so, if no scrape marks are evident, you could very well have yourself a clipped planchet error. As far as value, my best advice would be to look for similar coins on ebay. (actual prices realized, though, not a buy-it-now price.)

12 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

No, worries. I wasn't offended, so no apology necessary.

As for the coin, the new pics make the "ridge" that I thought I saw disappear, so, if no scrape marks are evident, you could very well have yourself a clipped planchet error. As far as value, my best advice would be to look for similar coins on ebay. (actual prices realized, though, not a buy-it-now price.)

Thank you and Will do! Have a great day, Capone1929

I don't see the so-called "Blakesley Effect," so I doubt it's a clipped planchet. For more on the Blakesley Effect, Google or see https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2015/06/how-to-identify-a-genuine-clip-coin--collectors--clearinghouse.all.html   This link has a decent article but it was difficult to make the thing load. I finally has to use IE because it wouldn't load in Chrome or Firefox.

Mark

23 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I see the Blakesley effect on the obverse. I believe this is a genuine clip. For more, see the article I wrote here: 

Thank you so much! I read the article and it is and was very helpful! The effect is definitely present although it's a little more difficult to see in my photos, it definitely appears to have that exact nature and effect! That was the flow to fill kinda effect I was speaking of as well as it appearing to be off center. Thanks again for the info, your time, and insight. Sincerely, Capone1929