• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Carr "Fantasy" Coin has best chance to have a real example?

29 posts in this topic

Carr forgeries and counterfeits are a really sore subject here. Let's shut this down now before it gets nasty.

We can discuss his original pieces as much as you want, but let's not discuss anything else.

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

I guess I must be slow,  but I really don't understand the question.???

You've been gone for a while. Lucky you. Google or search for Dan Carr, and you will find some of the most toxic, negative, trolling, off-putting discussions in the history of numismatics.

4 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

You've been gone for a while. Lucky you. Google or search for Dan Carr, and you will find some of the most toxic, negative, trolling, off-putting discussions in the history of numismatics.

Yeah.....we should probably let the topic of Dan Carr die here and now.....nothing good ever comes out of discussions on this subject.

I think the reason people wont open their eyes to DCarr overstrikes is because of the superior strike, luster and overall eye appeal they have compared to the original mint product. His work makes the original mint product look marginal at best. I'll use the 1917 and 1918 Broken Sword Peace dollars struck from dies made from original galvano as a good example of primo execution IMO. As we all know a fully struck mark free 1921 Peace Dollar is a very rare coin for sure and maybe really doesn't exist !

It’s pretty off putting to be told what can and can’t be discussed here. I agree Carr topics here turn into train wrecks but if you don’t like it don’t open this thread! Repeated post saying don’t talk about it are just as toxic in my opinion.  

And to answer the OP questions, none! That’s the reason Dan creates them, they are a fantasy. 

4 hours ago, nk1nk said:

It’s pretty off putting to be told what can and can’t be discussed here. I agree Carr topics here turn into train wrecks but if you don’t like it don’t open this thread! Repeated post saying don’t talk about it are just as toxic in my opinion.  

And to answer the OP questions, none! That’s the reason Dan creates them, they are a fantasy. 

I can see your point but I think it's more about avoiding further unpleasantness regarding a topic that we all know is inflammatory and provocative.  This topic is almost like politics.....there is such a huge and irreconcilable divide on Carr's overstrikes that there is really no possibility for a polite conversation that adds to the forum to occur regarding this particular topic.  There are some topics that are not allowed on the boards by our host, NGC, and the topic of politics is at the top of that list.  I see a resurrected discussion of Carr's overstrikes as being no different than a discussion on politics as the results are likely to be the same: a nasty, toxic thread that just serves to set people against one another and make the boards an unpleasant place. 

5 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Let's agree to not discuss this topic, numisport. We've all been around that merry go round, and I don't want to get back on.

Agreed 100%. 

Comparing a Carr topic to politics is apples and oranges. It’s coin related and has every right to be brought up here, pro and con arguments alike. I stayed away from collectors universe for a long time because I felt the powers to be there over policed what could and couldn’t be talked about. There are countless civil threads ATS regarding Carr’s work. Maybe it’s not the topic that’s toxic, and more likely certain members here that are. 

6 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Let's agree to not discuss this topic, numisport. We've all been around that merry go round, and I don't want to get back on.

Don’t get in line for the ride, plenty of other rides in the amusement park. 

9 minutes ago, nk1nk said:

Comparing a Carr topic to politics is apples and oranges. It’s coin related and has every right to be brought up here, pro and con arguments alike. I stayed away from collectors universe for a long time because I felt the powers to be there over policed what could and couldn’t be talked about. There are countless civil threads ATS regarding Carr’s work. Maybe it’s not the topic that’s toxic, and more likely certain members here that are. 

And this thread is already going to the places former Carr threads have.......in order to put the brakes on this right now, I will say that you have a right to your opinion but I'm not going to debate you or respond to you any further on this thread.

7 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

And this thread is already going to the places former Carr threads have.......in order to put the brakes on this right now, I will say that you have a right to your opinion but I'm not going to debate you or respond to you any further on this thread.

Thank you! 

I have reported this thread to the moderators. A brand new person with 2 posts starts a Carr thread? That screams "troll" to me. Even arguing about not arguing about Carr demonstrates that this thread should be shut down. The moderators here have usually been very hands off @dena, but sometimes that is a really big mistake. Please lock this thread now.

It blows my mind what a control freak you are over an OPEN forum, just ignore what you don’t like. I would have never commented on this thread if you hadn’t come in barking orders for people to not reply to a thread because you don’t like the subject.

I also notified the moderators to sticky this thread to the top just to annoy you. I hope @dena stays hands off it, makes this forum a better place.

You are better than this Jason, you contribute more than me and the majority of other posters here but the things you get your undies in a bunch over is annoying and imo the reason a lot of people have left and turned this place into a ghost town. 

12 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I have reported this thread to the moderators. A brand new person with 2 posts starts a Carr thread? That screams "troll" to me. Even arguing about not arguing about Carr demonstrates that this thread should be shut down. The moderators here have usually been very hands off @dena, but sometimes that is a really big mistake. Please lock this thread now.

I would disagree. The first post by the OP was about the Philly Show. The OP is asking question that, while a bit confusing as to intent, is certainly not trolling, IMHO.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, NumismaticAdventures said:

The 1917 Peace dollar seems like a no-go and before somebody says the 1964-D Peace that is not really true because that coin did exist; it was stuck. It is not a "fantasy" coin. 

I will guess that what you mean (and is the question) is whether a piece created by Mr. Carr may well have been produced by the U.S. Mint and  "exist" but there is no record or official awareness of such a piece at this time.

If that is the basis of the question, then given the individuals that participate on this Board and ATS that are lifelong researchers of such Records, and none have commented in the affirmative or presented, as of now, any indication of such a possibility, I would have to answer there is no chance at this time.

NO subject EVER has generated less light for a given amount of heat than any involving Mr. Carr's work. Nobody even is capable of seeing any worth in the other side's argument, much less find common ground. Bringing up his fantasy overdates is trolling per se.

4 hours ago, NumismaticAdventures said:

This is not at all how I thought this conversation would go. At all.

Yeah......Dan Carr and his "fantasy coins" are a sore subject around here.

I have several Dcarr's, and I think they are nice coins. I don't get all the hate. I was actually involved with the design of the first two. I have images of the fields with stars instead of rays.

Coin1005(1).jpg

Coin1006(1).jpg

dnv.jpg

Design patterns:

star2.thumb.jpg.3cc8bc1040f08a8dc72417242e57578d.jpgstars.jpg.732b1367d5f56bf476a607b4657206d0.jpg

1 hour ago, MorganMan said:

I have several Dcarr's, and I think they are nice coins. I don't get all the hate. I was actually involved with the design of the first two. I have images of the fields with stars instead of rays.

Coin1005(1).jpg

Coin1006(1).jpg

dnv.jpg

Design patterns:

star2.thumb.jpg.3cc8bc1040f08a8dc72417242e57578d.jpgstars.jpg.732b1367d5f56bf476a607b4657206d0.jpg

MorganMan....those are examples of Mr. Carr's original works.  There are no problems with those and many of them are indeed lovely.  The problem is with what Mr. Carr terms his "fantasy restrikes" using actual coin designs. With the intent of not starting another battle of words here, I'll sum the issue up as this.....since these "fantasy restrikes" do not carry a COPY marking on them, some people feel that they are nothing more than counterfeit coins which should be illegal while others feel that these "fantasy restrikes" are not counterfeits and, therefore, are legitimate, collectible pieces of exonumia.  There is no doubt that Mr. Carr's original designs are indeed legitimate, collectible pieces of exonumia.  There is no controversy surrounding his original works.

I hope that this explains the situation

~Tom

See this is a great post, I have no issue with difference of opinions of Carr’s work and you did a good job of representing both sides of the argument. I completely agree that Carr threads can derail rather quickly and get ugly but I don’t think that should be reason to outright ban the topic. If this thread had progressed into something negative and Jason or anybody else stepped in and asked that the topic get dropped I’d have a bit more understanding but to try and shut it down before it even began I felt was out of line. 

18 hours ago, nk1nk said:

See this is a great post, I have no issue with difference of opinions of Carr’s work and you did a good job of representing both sides of the argument. I completely agree that Carr threads can derail rather quickly and get ugly but I don’t think that should be reason to outright ban the topic. If this thread had progressed into something negative and Jason or anybody else stepped in and asked that the topic get dropped I’d have a bit more understanding but to try and shut it down before it even began I felt was out of line. 

And I thank you for the kind words!  When I said what I said earlier, it was just to try to keep things civil and to explain why I felt that this topic was receiving the reactions it was.  I did try to explain the issue here and neutrally and civilly as possible, and I apparently succeeded, which I'm happy about.  I think that Carr's "fantasy coins" are quick to elicit negative responses because of the strong feelings that people have on both sides of the issue and the fact that both sides feel that they have valid points regarding these "fantasy" pieces. It's definitely a difficult issue to discuss in numismatic forums.

I understand the difference between Dcarr's original and "fantasy" copies. HOWEVER, although Dcarr is not the US mint, remember that the mint itself has made copies of real strikes.

Buffalo Dollar, Buffalo gold, Gold Liberty Halves, Kennedy's and so on..... and let's not forget the first spouse series.

While not exact copies of the original, they ARE copies. 

I also think the legality of any copy coin should be the job of the US Treasury, not chat boards.

I also think China would make Dcarr look like a rookie in the copy department.

23 minutes ago, MorganMan said:

I also think China would make Dcarr look like a rookie in the copy department.

No question about that, MM. Chinese counterfeiting was a major topic of discussion at the last coin show  that I attended.