• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1910-S Lincoln Cent: altered date

7 posts in this topic

Appears to be altered to me as well looks like it could have been a 1940 as well. In the last couple days I've seen several sketchy Penny's and braided hair large cents. Capone1929

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's a fuzzy photo, but what is visible looks good for a 1910-S cent. The style and positioning of the numerals are correct, and it seems to have the correct mintmark used for cents only during 1909-16.

As always, professional certification is the only to know for certain. In the mean time, here's a link to large photos of a real specimen. Be sure to click on it twice to see at maximum size:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/lincoln-cents-wheat-reverse-1909-1958-pscid-99/1910-s-1c-ms-coinid-12438

I actually had these photo’s of the 1910-S Lincoln Cent as well, which were taken at the same time as the other pictures. These 2 photo’s show the truncation of Lincolns shoulder where V.D.B. are in existence, but it seems like the forger tried to grind them away and placed other marks to distract. I circled the Designers initials at the truncation of Lincolns shoulder in black. I wasn’t sure if maybe what I am seeing are die scratches possibly. I am just really interested to hear other people’s opinions regarding what they think it is?

I appreciate it.