• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Grading McDonald's MacCoin Tokens

42 posts in this topic

Because somebody(ies) submitted it. They are already selling on ebay, $13.00 and up. They are available in 14,000 locations, and you buy a Big Mac and get one. there will be 5 different coins, to celebrate the 5 decades of the Big Mac.

It is capitalism at its finest.:acclaim:. Buy a Big Mac, get a $1 coin to put toward another one. The trick is, getting the different type coins when you order 2 Big Macs at the same time at the same location. Good luck with that. I tried 2x yesterday and ix today. Same coin.

I love America. :luhv:. Where else can a new coin collecting genre be started by a hamburgler and get an encapsulated coin:cloud9:

6 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

It is capitalism at its finest.:acclaim:. Buy a Big Mac, get a $1 coin to put toward another one. The trick is, getting the different type coins when you order 2 Big Macs at the same time at the same location. Good luck with that. I tried 2x yesterday and ix today. Same coin.

I love America. :luhv:. Where else can a new coin collecting genre be started by a hamburgler and get an encapsulated coin:cloud9:

You actually ate there?  You are a brave man.  I'm not a vegetarian but still won't eat there unless there aren't any other options.  Same applies to most fast food outlets.  The "food" is disproportionately mediocre to awful.

As for these "coins", there are a lot more McDonalds customers versus a place like Chuck-E-Cheese, so I can see it becoming somewhat or a lot more popular.  However, grading it is waste of money.  Unlike some of the older tokens like it, everything today is saved in pristine quality in much higher number and proportion.  These items will remain as common as dirt for as long as it will matter to anyone reading this thread. 

If I wanted it, I would try to get all five but no way I'd spend a cent to have it graded.  It is a waste of money.

1 hour ago, World Colonial said:

You actually ate there?  You are a brave man.  I'm not a vegetarian but still won't eat there unless there aren't any other options.  Same applies to most fast food outlets.  The "food" is disproportionately mediocre to awful.

As for these "coins", there are a lot more McDonalds customers versus a place like Chuck-E-Cheese, so I can see it becoming somewhat or a lot more popular.  However, grading it is waste of money.  Unlike some of the older tokens like it, everything today is saved in pristine quality in much higher number and proportion.  These items will remain as common as dirt for as long as it will matter to anyone reading this thread. 

If I wanted it, I would try to get all five but no way I'd spend a cent to have it graded.  It is a waste of money.

Agreed......McDonald's is a scary place.  The only reason that I've been in there in years is if I'm picking up food for my in-laws if my partner and I are at their house or going to their house.  My life-partner's braver than me because she'll get their McCafe coffee drinks (she's a vegetarian, too), but yeah......I can't even watch my in-laws eat McDonald's "food"......nasty, nasty stuff!  There's a guy on YouTube who I like to watch, his channel is called Retail Archaeology ( yeah, I'm one of those dead mall/urban exploration people), and he unboxed a sealed Super Mario Bros. 3 Happy Meal from 1989.....and the food looked the same as if it were a Happy Meal bought 5 minutes ago!  The fries were a bit darker, that's all!  If "food" looks the same after sitting in a box for 30 years, it's probably a bad idea to ingest said "food"

8 hours ago, World Colonial said:

The difference is, this is a new world "currency". It is accepted world wide at any McDonalds. There has never been any other token "like it".

The concept is brilliant. Absolutely Capitalism at its finest. The potential is fascinating. Start with the current concept, then move on to other "denominations", rinse and repeat, all the while doing so in a mass world market. Then it will probably move on to a Christmas Launch, with various denominations as Presents for the friend/family member/business acquaintance/student worldwide.  Meanwhile, the "competition" (Burger King? IHOP? Any other Fast Food Entity?lol) can't do the same in a mass global market. The child in China or anywhere in Europe or the Americas is going to want to go to the Hamburgler Palace because every other kid is trying to collect the "tokens" and it is the neat thing to do. Meanwhile, McD's makes a heck of a lot of money on the non-surrendered "currency", because collectors will want them. An entirely new genre of numismatic collecting is starting, whether it is realized or not. The individual collector with a Butler named James, and that owns the Bentley may raise the chin an inch or so accompanying it with a superlative sniff or 2, as a sign of distaste that this is a collecting genre, but that does not change anything.

Pick any stock you like....did it go up 1,300% in one day? The hamburgler coin did, on ebay.

Not to mention, it is a 25% return on investment...$4 for the sandwich, $1 back toward the next sandwich.

Today, I intend to go to 3 different Palaces, and if they have tokens left, buy the Big Mac, get the tokens and then give the Big Macs away. 

Besides, it is fun.

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Agreed......McDonald's is a scary place.  The only reason that I've been in there in years is if I'm picking up food for my in-laws if my partner and I are at their house or going to their house.  My life-partner's braver than me because she'll get their McCafe coffee drinks (she's a vegetarian, too), but yeah......I can't even watch my in-laws eat McDonald's "food"......nasty, nasty stuff!  There's a guy on YouTube who I like to watch, his channel is called Retail Archaeology ( yeah, I'm one of those dead mall/urban exploration people), and he unboxed a sealed Super Mario Bros. 3 Happy Meal from 1989.....and the food looked the same as if it were a Happy Meal bought 5 minutes ago!  The fries were a bit darker, that's all!  If "food" looks the same after sitting in a box for 30 years, it's probably a bad idea to ingest said "food"

Nobody has to eat it.....there are less fortunate persons at or near every Hamburgler Palace.

21 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

The difference is, this is a new world "currency". It is accepted world wide at any McDonalds. There has never been any other token "like it".

The concept is brilliant. Absolutely Capitalism at its finest. The potential is fascinating. Start with the current concept, then move on to other "denominations", rinse and repeat, all the while doing so in a mass world market. Then it will probably move on to a Christmas Launch, with various denominations as Presents for the friend/family member/business acquaintance/student worldwide.  Meanwhile, the "competition" (Burger King? IHOP? Any other Fast Food Entity?lol) can't do the same in a mass global market. The child in China or anywhere in Europe or the Americas is going to want to go to the Hamburgler Palace because every other kid is trying to collect the "tokens" and it is the neat thing to do. Meanwhile, McD's makes a heck of a lot of money on the non-surrendered "currency", because collectors will want them. An entirely new genre of numismatic collecting is starting, whether it is realized or not. The individual collector with a Butler named James, and that owns the Bentley may raise the chin an inch or so accompanying it with a superlative sniff or 2, as a sign of distaste that this is a collecting genre, but that does not change anything.

Pick any stock you like....did it go up 1,300% in one day? The hamburgler coin did, on ebay.

Not to mention, it is a 25% return on investment...$4 for the sandwich, $1 back toward the next sandwich.

Today, I intend to go to 3 different Palaces, and if they have tokens left, buy the Big Mac, get the tokens and then give the Big Macs away. 

Besides, it is fun.

I understood your point...and agreed with it.  I was thinking the same thing as you.  McDonald's can create an entire series of this "coinage" with different themes and designs for local tastes worldwide.  Other companies with worldwide high profile brands can do it too with a good chance of success.

When I lived in South Africa from 1972-1974, there were these two albums.  One titled "Historic Battles" (with stickers to place in a battle scene) and the other "Naturama" (to glue the top to the page).  I'd buy a pack of three or five for 5C at the local convenience store and for birthdays, get a box of 100 packs from my parents.  A few of these were "rare" and I had to buy it directly from the issuer to complete the album, but I can see a similar approach for this idea. 

I still have both albums now, though not in new condition since I didn't know how to take care of things properly back then.  One day on my trips to Bolivia, I might even commission a local artist to paint a few of the historic battle scenes.  The art is pretty good.

Since these tokens can be redeemed for "food", millions can potentially be issued with an intentional "scarcity" for a low number to maintain interest.  Hundreds of different types over a long period of time if it catches on.  And as you said, many won't be redeemed and it would be pure profit.

Heven't ate at McD's in years (90s when our kids were young) - but I was definitely wanting to get my hands on a full set of these coins without getting gouged on eBay, so I called my local store yesterday (Aug. 3d) and they said they still had a few left - Each store was allotted a box of 225 coins and when they were gone, that was it.  So my wife and I went in right at 10:30 and asked if I bought 5 Big Macs, could I pick the 5 coins so I could be sure to get one of each design.  Enter 'confusion' by the staff.  Finally, in this young lady's frustration, she went to the back and came back out with a handful of 20 or so coins.  She said 'this is it - this is all we have left" and put on the counter.  I was able to pick through and found the 5 coins with the last one of the series, the 2010s - there being only one left of those.  Then I was told I could only get these on 5 separate visits!  I laughed and asked, "Why are you going to make me walk outside - then back in - buy one - leave - repeat X5?  I mean if I have to play the stupid game I will - then she goes "FINE! But you still have to do this in 5 separate transactions."  I agreed.  No big deal.  And thankfully, this was at 10:30, so there was no line of people getting upset behind us!  Long story long, I got my full set of coins and 5 sequential numbered receipts to boot!  When we got our Big Macs, my wife and I kept one and gave the other three to some guys that got in line behind us!  All in all, I'm glad I went to the trouble for these.  It's not everyday a company does something like this and I'm happy to have the full set without needing to 'play by the rules' as that would make it real hard for anyone else to get a full set and buying them on ebay was not an option.  BONUS:  I asked if I could have the box the coins came in and the crew flier and I got them too!

BIGMAC COINS.jpg

MAC COINS BOX.jpg

MacCoins CREW.jpg

21 minutes ago, CoinClocks said:

Heven't ate at McD's in years (90s when our kids were young) - but I was definitely wanting to get my hands on a full set of these coins without getting gouged on eBay, so I called my local store yesterday (Aug. 3d) and they said they still had a few left - Each store was allotted a box of 225 coins and when they were gone, that was it.  So my wife and I went in right at 10:30 and asked if I bought 5 Big Macs, could I pick the 5 coins so I could be sure to get one of each design.  Enter 'confusion' by the staff.  Finally, in this young lady's frustration, she went to the back and came back out with a handful of 20 or so coins.  She said 'this is it - this is all we have left" and put on the counter.  I was able to pick through and found the 5 coins with the last one of the series, the 2010s - there being only one left of those.  Then I was told I could only get these on 5 separate visits!  I laughed and asked, "Why are you going to make me walk outside - then back in - buy one - leave - repeat X5?  I mean if I have to play the stupid game I will - then she goes "FINE! But you still have to do this in 5 separate transactions."  I agreed.  No big deal.  And thankfully, this was at 10:30, so there was no line of people getting upset behind us!  Long story long, I got my full set of coins and 5 sequential numbered receipts to boot!  When we got our Big Macs, my wife and I kept one and gave the other three to some guys that got in line behind us!  All in all, I'm glad I went to the trouble for these.  It's not everyday a company does something like this and I'm happy to have the full set without needing to 'play by the rules' as that would make it real hard for anyone else to get a full set and buying them on ebay was not an option.  BONUS:  I asked if I could have the box the coins came in and the crew flier and I got them too!

BIGMAC COINS.jpg

MAC COINS BOX.jpg

MacCoins CREW.jpg

That is the way to do it!(thumbsu

37 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I understood your point...and agreed with it.  I was thinking the same thing as you.  McDonald's can create an entire series of this "coinage" with different themes and designs for local tastes worldwide.  Other companies with worldwide high profile brands can do it too with a good chance of success.

When I lived in South Africa from 1972-1974, there were these two albums.  One titled "Historic Battles" (with stickers to place in a battle scene) and the other "Naturama" (to glue the top to the page).  I'd buy a pack of three or five for 5C at the local convenience store and for birthdays, get a box of 100 packs from my parents.  A few of these were "rare" and I had to buy it directly from the issuer to complete the album, but I can see a similar approach for this idea. 

I still have both albums now, though not in new condition since I didn't know how to take care of things properly back then.  One day on my trips to Bolivia, I might even commission a local artist to paint a few of the historic battle scenes.  The art is pretty good.

Since these tokens can be redeemed for "food", millions can potentially be issued with an intentional "scarcity" for a low number to maintain interest.  Hundreds of different types over a long period of time if it catches on.  And as you said, many won't be redeemed and it would be pure profit.

Yes. When I was 9, I had a similar experience to yours, in Naples. The Vatican had a "coin" for children that visited. The design changed depending on the liturgical season. I still have 9, all different. I remember when we left for a new duty station 2 years later, I was somewhat miffed because I would never be able to get any more.:taptaptap:. It was better than Paris, though, where all I ended up with (and still have) was a little tin cup with my name engraved on it from our visit to Lourdes. #FrenchAreCheapos!

Collecting is fun, period. Not sure Big Macs make this harmless fun, but they are a guilty indulgence for me on rare occasions. And tough to beat those nasty fries when cruising down the road. 

14 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Nobody has to eat it.....there are less fortunate persons at or near every Hamburgler Palace.

Indeed sir.  People can choose to do as they wish.  I was just stating my particular feelings on McDonald's and fast food in general :)

18 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Not to mention, it is a 25% return on investment...$4 for the sandwich, $1 back toward the next sandwich

They aren't good for $1 off they are for a free Big Mac. A buy one get one free deal.

One of my co-workers who has a second job at McD's gave me one this morning.  She was surprised when I mentioned that there are five different designs.  They were just told to give them out, no one told them why it was being done or that there was more than one design.  I guess their manager never bothered to show them the flyer.

7 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

It's no worse than ICG and ANACS grading Carr's overstrikes.

I see your point, but just because it may not be worse, doesn't really justify it.  One could make a similar argument for Bashlow confederate restrikes. 

The poster and employee flier are pretty cool pick ups, nice job. 

I cant wait to see what a graded MS70 is going to get on eBay. The prices for raw ones have blown my mind. I have a set of 5 and I’m thinking I might try and cash in on the craze. 

I was able to get all five from a friendly McDonalds with an mature/educated staff.  Perhaps some type of manager was helping me. I had to buy the 5 burgers.  I ate one and gave the rest away.

These are the perfect collectible: 1) People collect tokens...always have 2) This is a token thrown right in the center of pop culture.  3) McDonalds is a very powerful brand name and an American Icon.  4) The tokens are attractive and have that classic transit token style relief.   5) Tokens are made in USA by Osborne Mint.  America's oldest private mint...having minted medals for Lincoln...and pretty much everyone needing tokens.  

On 8/5/2018 at 1:16 AM, Conder101 said:

They aren't good for $1 off they are for a free Big Mac. A buy one get one free deal.

Think it thru....it ends up being a 25% return. For the Hamburgler Palace, it is 50%. It does not matter, though. It is still Capitalism at its' finest, introducing a new world currency, and starting a new collecting genre.

2 hours ago, mkwelbornjr said:

I was able to get all five from a friendly McDonalds with an mature/educated staff.  Perhaps some type of manager was helping me. I had to buy the 5 burgers.  I ate one and gave the rest away.

These are the perfect collectible: 1) People collect tokens...always have 2) This is a token thrown right in the center of pop culture.  3) McDonalds is a very powerful brand name and an American Icon.  4) The tokens are attractive and have that classic transit token style relief.   5) Tokens are made in USA by Osborne Mint.  America's oldest private mint...having minted medals for Lincoln...and pretty much everyone needing tokens.  

This is Currency, and can and will be used Worldwide. It is a cut above a token.

13 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

What is the other TPG that did so?

ANACS and ICG are the only ones that I am aware of, and the pieces are given straight grades.  To my knowledge, no top tier service recognizes his pieces.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:59 AM, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

This is Currency, and can and will be used Worldwide. It is a cut above a token.

Until Dec 31st after which they are no longer redeemable and become worthless except as a "collectable"