• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this reeding or plier marks on my 74 Lincoln?

11 posts in this topic

Hey, hey, hey. I hope I haven't already asked about this particular Lincoln. If so I guess I wasn't happy with the answer or maybe it wasn't answered. Anywhooo...some odd reeding or plier marks. Please and thank you.

0731182325c-1.jpg

0731182315-1.jpg

0731182320a-1.jpg

0731182320b-1.jpg

0731182312-1.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those are striations imparted by the collar at the time of ejection. The collar drops down after each coin is struck, and the edge of the coin scrapes against the collar opening. If the collar is worn, it may have vertical drag lines on that surface which then transfer to the coin.

I will still keep your answer with my pictures under explanations folder in my google photos. What an outstanding piece of knowledge to hold. How could you possibly have come up with it?

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

I will still keep your answer with my pictures under explanations folder in my google photos. What an outstanding piece of knowledge to hold. How could you possibly have come up with it?

David,  DWlange,  has written and helped write many numismatic books and articles. Here is a link to some of his articles.

DW Lange Archives

Idk much about coin boards, but I did enjoy the Christmas story and I do have a board from 1976 for Coins of the 20th Century, and it has a typo. Lol! 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Cool. I had no  idea that I was getting answered by a pro. I do feel special for sure.

GREAT to see young people coming into the hobby. First you learn about the coins you collect and then learn how to get mustard stains out of your shirt.. After a few shows you will see what I am talking about. And you are interested in my favorite coin the lowly Lincoln cent.