• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Dollar Coin: American Innovation

17 posts in this topic

So, there will be a new dollar coin program starting this year. Like the quarters, it will proceed for *fourteen years* with each state in order of entry into the US. 

You can read more about it here: https://coinweek.com/us-mint-news/united-states-mint-new-1-coin-program-honors-american-innovation/

So, let's play a little game: What innovation or innovator would you like to see honored for your state? 

From Mississippi:

Hartley Peavey, founder of Peavey Electronics (maker of guitars, amplifiers, etc.)

Muppet creator, film writer, and inventor  Jim Henson

Either would get my vote.

Texas

Music Innovator

Charles Hardin Holley (September 7, 1936 – February 3, 1959), known as Buddy Holly,

During his short career, Holly wrote, recorded, and produced his own material. He is often regarded as the artist who defined the traditional rock-and-roll lineup of two guitars, bass, and drums. He was a major influence on later popular music artists, including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Weezer, and Elton John. He was among the first artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986. Rolling Stone magazine ranked him number 13 in its list of "100 Greatest Artists".

New York-

Nikola Tesla-

Where do I even start?  While Tesla was born in the Austrian Empire (in what is now Croatia), he became an American citizen in 1891 and did much of his work in New York City.  I'd say Tesla is most known for his contributions to designing the Alternating Current Power Supply system ( which is the system we still use today), but he did much more than that.  He also worked on wireless lights and communications devices......and we know the widespread importance of wireless communications devices today.  While he wasn't as successful with some of his ventures in his time as some more famous names of his era, it was largely because he was so far ahead of his time.  Basically though, if you used an electrical appliance that plugged into a wall socket today, you can thank Nikola Tesla :)  Also, Tesla wasn't afraid to stand up and tell Thomas Edison when he was wrong......a brave thing to do in that day and age.

That's who I'd like to see from my state on one of the new coins.

~Tom

16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

New York-

Nikola Tesla-

Where do I even start?  While Tesla was born in the Austrian Empire (in what is now Croatia), he became an American citizen in 1891 and did much of his work in New York City.  I'd say Tesla is most known for his contributions to designing the Alternating Current Power Supply system ( which is the system we still use today), but he did much more than that.  He also worked on wireless lights and communications devices......and we know the widespread importance of wireless communications devices today.  While he wasn't as successful with some of his ventures in his time as some more famous names of his era, it was largely because he was so far ahead of his time.  Basically though, if you used an electrical appliance that plugged into a wall socket today, you can thank Nikola Tesla :)  Also, Tesla wasn't afraid to stand up and tell Thomas Edison when he was wrong......a brave thing to do in that day and age.

That's who I'd like to see from my state on one of the new coins.

~Tom

Tesla is my hero!

19 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Texas

Music Innovator

Charles Hardin Holley (September 7, 1936 – February 3, 1959), known as Buddy Holly,

During his short career, Holly wrote, recorded, and produced his own material. He is often regarded as the artist who defined the traditional rock-and-roll lineup of two guitars, bass, and drums. He was a major influence on later popular music artists, including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Weezer, and Elton John. He was among the first artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986. Rolling Stone magazine ranked him number 13 in its list of "100 Greatest Artists".

Doctor "Skip" Ridley, Innovation in defining and expanding new methods eligible for Community Service, in existing jurisprudence guidelines.

Pete "The Teen Terror". Pioneer in Teen Outdoor Adventure Activities. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Doctor "Skip" Ridley, Innovation in defining and expanding new methods eligible for Community Service, in existing jurisprudence guidelines.

Pete "The Teen Terror". Pioneer in Teen Outdoor Adventure Activities. 

Y'all have to know what's going on here, lol adventures in childhood.

10 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Tesla is my hero!

And he's a good one to have!  I obviously admire him as well, and I think it's great that he's a fellow New Yorker!  I really hope that he does make it on one of the new coins.....then I'd actually be interested in at least one coin in the series.

Florida

Thomas Edison, of course! Best friend of Henry Ford (which I think Henry Ford should be on Michigan coinage, and Ford's house is/was right next to Edison's in Fort Myers). 

Possible choices for Utah

John Moses Browning for multiple innovations in the gun industry most notably the 1911 handgun. I’m sure guns would be a sore subject and not even considered.

Philo Taylor Farnsworth, inventor and television pioneer 

13 hours ago, nk1nk said:

Possible choices for Utah

John Moses Browning for multiple innovations in the gun industry most notably the 1911 handgun. I’m sure guns would be a sore subject and not even considered.

Philo Taylor Farnsworth, inventor and television pioneer 

Philo T. Farnsworth might be better for Indiana since he set up residence there while establishing a manufacturing facility in Fort Wayne. His residence still stands today and I pass by it occasionally.

8 hours ago, numisport said:

Philo T. Farnsworth might be better for Indiana since he set up residence there while establishing a manufacturing facility in Fort Wayne. His residence still stands today and I pass by it occasionally.

I can see that, and agree.