• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Left too me not sure what too do with them

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. NGC authenticates and grades the quality of coins but we need them in hand to make a proper assessment. Some of our seasoned members may be able to provide you with advice or insight. 

There are two I would single out a bit, though just a bit. The 44-P is about 35% silver (melt value right now about $0.87) and is not a major collectible but is definitely worth more than five cents. The Buff looks to be in quite nice shape and is probably worth slightly more than the 44-P for that reason.

I can't tell the level of wear from the photo, but I can't see a lot; if there were nearly none, values up to and exceeding $10 could be possible. Three of the rest look like fine coins but of common dates, might be worth a quarter, might not. The 1939 seems in rather decent shape, probably isn't worth a quarter. Total value for the lot, if someone offered you $3 for them, that would not be unfair based on what can be seen in the pic.

They're yours to handle as you choose, but as they were left to you, I'd suggest giving them to a young person in the family who might be interested in old coins. That's how a lot of us here became collectors. A coin that's sixty years old seems ancient to a child (kind of as does a person). There'd be a Buff and a silver nickel to learn about, some nearly uncirculated pieces to protect from damage, and so on.

What you have are some nice older nickels that really don't have a high value monetarily, but could be a valuable start to a youngster's new hobby. I like JKK's idea of giving them to a young person who would be interested in learning about them, along with a copy of "A Guide Book of United States Coins" (available at most any hobby shop or bookstore.)