• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the attraction of the series you collect?

19 posts in this topic

Given this is now a U.S. And World forum - it might be interesting to discuss what the attraction is of your (favorite) series that you collect. I'll start with pre 1933 sovereigns - I consider sovereigns as the dominant gold coin in the world during the height of the British Empire. I enjoy the history and designs of the modern (1817-1933) sovereigns. Sovereigns were produced at seven different mints in five countries during that timeframe. The sovereigns are collectible in many ways including by Monarch, Date, Mint, reverse (shield or St. George) just to name a few. There are plenty of varieties to collect. Rarity ranges from very common to extremely rare. Depending on the series or sub-series, you can either easily complete it or it can be very challenging.  

My number one series is pillar minors generically with a focus on Lima, Potosi and Guatemala.  Most I own are from Lima because the coins as a mint are quite a bit more common than Guatemala and Potosi only lasted for four years versus 21.

I don't collect Mexico minors much because this mint is a lot more common (across the grade distribution) than all other mints, even Lima.  I don't own many 8R due to a combination of cost and scarcity.  Pillar dollars are concurrently usually a lot more common than other denominations but more expensive, except for the 4R.  There are more nicer Mexico 1/2R than pillar dollars in AU or MS from what I have seen but not absolutely.

As to why I chose it:

One: It is my favorite design of any coin or series.

Two:  It is one of the most difficult to complete, whether in high quality or otherwise.  Completing any mint/denomination combination (Mexico included) in high quality under current exacting US standards is an absolute impossibility.  The Rudman collection of Mexico pillars auctioned by Heritage a few years ago was almost complete even including die varieties but many of the coins were "details" graded or in average condition.  Completing Potosi is doable up to higher circulated grades (probably an XF) but maybe not higher.  I have never seen most of these coins in high quality (AU or better). 

I have never heard of anyone ever completing the four denominations from either Guatemala or Lima.  Patterson never did so (and he did try) and if the ANS collection includes the Norweb coins, they didn't either though I 'm not sure it was a high priority.  I doubt anyone has done so for over a century but if it did happen, not remotely in a quality that hardly any US collectors would accept.

I collect few series:

1. Central American Republic.  Likely the most beautiful coins ever minted, IMO. The Sun shinning, the mountains, the three. Just a great design. And they are rare.

2. Mexico's Iturbide. A very interesting historical period. Misunderstood by many. And very rare issues. Despite the few coins in the set, it is likely impossible to complete (try finding a KM305 or 311). And his proclamation medals are both beautiful and rare, so a challenge. 

3. Mexican republic gold. I just like the design. Particularly,  the 2 and 4 escudos. 

4. Mexican peso fuerte.  An amazing series, less popular than 8 reales but very challenging. 

5. Mexican Ferdinand VII half escudos. Short lived, incredibly difficult. This I hope to complete one day. As well as a high quality Caballito Mexican peso. These 2 series are the only ones I think will get complete as they are just a few coins.

6. If I ever get the money, perhaps I will branch to Chilean 8 escudos (book and hand). Not as pretty as their Mexican counterparts IMO but very beautiful in their own right.

I have never been interested on completing these sets ($$$), but I enjoy collecting them. Great coins with fantastic stories and histories behind them. I have been always more interested on quality and rarity than quantity. I think that is why I will not complete these series.

Since I collect U.S. coins I have moved toward '36 to '42 proof coins generally because they depict Renaissance designs that I think are the most beautiful of all U.S. coins since the inception of the mint. With the exception of the Jefferson Nickel these represent designs that were proposed and approved in the early 20th century and IMO take no back seat to any other U.S. designs so far. Admittedly these are tough issues to find nice but are available if one is patient. Then came Roger Burdette's book as I am completing my series. What a stunning group of coins !

36 minutes ago, numisport said:

Since I collect U.S. coins I have moved toward '36 to '42 proof coins generally because they depict Renaissance designs that I think are the most beautiful of all U.S. coins since the inception of the mint. With the exception of the Jefferson Nickel these represent designs that were proposed and approved in the early 20th century and IMO take no back seat to any other U.S. designs so far. Admittedly these are tough issues to find nice but are available if one is patient. Then came Roger Burdette's book as I am completing my series. What a stunning group of coins !

Mercury dime and LWH, I can see it.  You think equally of the Lincoln cent and Washington quarter?  If there was a SLQ proof, I could see it but not this design.

10 hours ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

I collect few series:

1. Central American Republic.  Likely the most beautiful coins ever minted, IMO. The Sun shinning, the mountains, the three. Just a great design. And they are rare.

3. Mexican republic gold. I just like the design. Particularly,  the 2 and 4 escudos. 

To my knowledge, the 2R is quite rare or very rare in any grade and the 1R also rare for the later dates.  The 1824 I have seen in high quality quite a few times and isn't really that hard to buy.  The half real, even more though I recall some dates as being much scarcer than others.  Most of the 8R seem to be available often enough in MS though not to the quality standards of US collectors for comparable contemporary coinage.  The 1/2E and 1E are also relatively available at least as type coins.  The 2E, 4E and 8E are scarce to very rare.

The Mexico Hand on Book 4E is quite scarce and many date/MM combinations are certainly rare by US standards.  The now defunct website Mexican Coin Magic included a series of articles on most or all of the Mexican Republic denominations.  The article for the 4E claimed it was the scarcest denomination.  It probably is absolutely but in reviewing the NGC data recently, it listed 51 MS-60 or better for the entire series (less than or equal to six for any one coin).  This versus 33 for the 4R.  Both series are essentially impossible to complete whether by date, date/MM or date/MM/assayer but much easier to buy as type coins in better grades recently versus when I first became aware of these coins.  I don't look often for the 4E but it wasn't until 2011 that I saw more than a miniscule number for the 4R in better grades.  It is now a lot easier to buy though I still see it only occasionally.

Though I own other coins, I only actively collect Walking Liberty U.S. halves.

I like them because of their beautiful design, their condition rarity and absolute rarity, and their historical significance, as well.

They are very challenging to find well struck up, whith good luster, smooth surface preservation and original toning.

45 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Mercury dime and LWH, I can see it.  You think equally of the Lincoln cent and Washington quarter?  If there was a SLQ proof, I could see it but not this design. 

Sorry I left out Washington Quarters. They just were not really attractive in 1936. I do like them in the following years however especially starting in 1950. Lincoln wheatbacks also are very attractive with deep mirrors but are very elusive in cameo designation through 1952. Oddly enough one of the toughest Ultra Cameo Wheatbacks in later years is a 1957 ! As for a proof SLQ I think original designer would have thought a brilliant proof could not be executed without the design suffering just as similar comments were made about Buffalo Nickels with brilliant finish. They were obviously wrong !

33 minutes ago, numisport said:

Sorry I left out Washington Quarters. They just were not really attractive in 1936. I do like them in the following years however especially starting in 1950. Lincoln wheatbacks also are very attractive with deep mirrors but are very elusive in cameo designation through 1952. Oddly enough one of the toughest Ultra Cameo Wheatbacks in later years is a 1957 ! As for a proof SLQ I think original designer would have thought a brilliant proof could not be executed without the design suffering just as similar comments were made about Buffalo Nickels with brilliant finish. They were obviously wrong !

I don't care for the Washington quarter design though I agree it does look better in proof and I can see why many collectors like the earliest (DCAM) proofs.  I like the Lincoln portrait on the cent (much better than what he actually looked like) but consider it inferior to the Indian Head cent.  The IHC is classic Americana.

Well....let's see.....series.....well, I guess some of my projects can count as series in the broad definition.  Why do I collect them?

1. Canadian Cameo Proof Like and Uncirculated Set coins from Elizabeth II from 1954-1974-Canadian coins were my first love as a child and Canadian Small Cents in a Whitman Folder were my very first numismatic pursuit.......here I am 30 years later and that Whitman STILL isn't full!  Anyhow, I feel that Canadian coins are some of the most beautiful in the whole world, and the Proof Like coins with cameo contrast are especially so.  I also like a challenge, and hunting Cameo PL's is definitely that!  I also have a deep love for Canada as a country and a culture.  I have visited Canada many times in my life, and I always love it there so much.  It's a beautiful country with a wonderful culture, amazing natural beauty and some of the nicest people I have ever met.  Sadly, due to my post-graduate work, I haven't gotten to visit in the past few years, something that makes me sad.....once I get through my Dissertation, I plan to remedy that!

2. East Germany 1948-1953, complete set of all denominations-Once again, beauty and challenge.  It's amazing how beautiful these aluminum coins can be in high grade, and they are TOUGH to find in nice condition! Also, my grandparents came from East Germany, so there's family history there as well.

3. Ottoman Empire Nickel Para coinage, all denominations from 1909-1921-Once again, beauty and challenge ( surprise, surprise). And, once again, family connections to the Ottoman Empire and Turkey. 

So, I guess I have to say I mainly seek a challenge and beauty, but with Canadian coins, it's something much deeper than that.  It's a manifestation of being in love with a nation and a culture along with those things.

I hope this was of some insight and interest to everyone!

~Tom

The Hundred Year 14 Coin US Gold Business Strike Type Set

My attraction to the collection is easy for me as it is a legacy coin collection that honors the only country I've ever called "home."  I've written extensively about collecting this "series" as the Quintessential version. (thread is on this Board; currently Page 3 near the end)  However, any version of the Hundred Year 14 Coin US Gold Business Strike Type Set (as detailed below) would prove to be compelling, challenging, and extremely rewarding for all coin collectors.

• Born, raised, and will probably die as a citizen of The United States of America
    • Love its rich history and its noble struggle of an idea (freedom) that is unlike any other nation that has ever existed
    • This country has given so much back to me; therefore, there is a pride aspect to the coin collection, too
  • Gold coins weather the passage of time better than any other metal coin
    • silver tarnishes to black
    • copper tarnishes to brown
    • gold, even though an alloy for US coins, pretty much remains gold looking… for all of time
  • The collection is bounded by the hundred-year time period leading up to the 1933 US gold confiscation (Executive Order 6102)
    • contains an example-coin of every general-design, type, and denomination
    • has at least one coin from each of the 11 decades
      • spreads the coins out over the events of the years
    • has at least one coin from each of the 6 mints
      • to include the whole country and not just one region
  • The coin collection is a minimalist collection, making it both small in size and affordable to collect
    • 14 coins total, with no two coins alike
    • avoids collection-overindulgence syndrome
  • They're beautiful coins to behold, each unique in appearance, size, and heft

15 hours ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

@World Colonial yes, the 4R series are as rare as they come. I have seen very few in "good" shape. But find them charming and under appreciated.

The Mexican Cap & Ray 4R is an example of a coin where the scarcity probably works against higher prices, if that's what you mean by under appreciated.  I believe this is true of the pillar series and might be for CAR and other Mexican as well.

Recently, I was looking at the PCGS registry for pillar type sets.  This is where I believe the demand for the best examples originates which is why the prices are high.  There aren't many set collectors (mostly the 8R) due to the limited number of high quality coins and the series is very difficult to complete anyway.  So most coins (even decent ones) sell for relatively low prices.  I don't collect other Latin series such as CAR but the same preference and price pattern seems to exist.

I'll flip the coin now and mention a U.S. Set. I also enjoy collecting the U.S. Gold type set. I love the designs, the history and except for the early issues - they are fairly easy to find. There is also ample information to research.  Type sets have variety that makes them very appealing to many. 

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

I'll flip the coin now and mention a U.S. Set. I also enjoy collecting the U.S. Gold type set. I love the designs, the history and except for the early issues - they are fairly easy to find. There is also ample information to research.  Type sets have variety that makes them very appealing to many. 

I am not aware that any of these coins are hard to buy as a type coin, except once again in a specific quality which isn't equivalent to an actual scarcity.  It primarily requires having a lot of money and then being determined to pay enough when an example comes up for sale.  An example is the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle which has an estimated population of 100-125 according to Coin Facts.  The Heritage archives list two sales for both 2016 and 2017.  From this, I'll guess that it was actually offered at least four times each year which makes it moderately hard to buy, as coins which are much harder to buy might not be available even once in a year.

When I was younger, one of my favorite US coins was the Capped Head half eagle (1813-1834).  The 1813 is by far the most common in this series and one I would describe as moderately scarce overall.  In higher grades though it really isn't with I believe 300 estimated MS survivors according to PGCS Coin Facts.  I believe an AU-55 or AU-58 runs near $10k or somewhat below it.  It certainly is a coin I would like to own but there are (much) cheaper coins available outside of US collecting with equal or better credentials.  An example is the 1790 Austrian Netherlands Insurrection gold 14 florin.  I'd like to buy it eventually along with the crown sized 3 florin to complete my set.

4 hours ago, Zebo said:

While that particular type set holds no interest for me as a collector, I do like the idea of Type Sets and I can see how the U.S. gold set would appeal to a lot of collectors......just, for me, there are other gold coins I like a lot more and I honestly despise the Liberty Head gold designs.....just not my aesthetic at all.  But I do find the $10 Indian to be a good looking coin...the best one in that whole set, in my opinion.  And the Saint is pretty nice too.  But liking two coins doesn't make for a very enjoyable type set experience.  Type Sets are a ton of fun, and they give you a little bit of everything to enjoy.  I've been giving some serious thoughts to starting Canadian and East German type sets myself.  There's something compelling about all of the different designs and denominations all on display in one place.  And, Zebo, since you're a Sovereign collector, maybe you'd be kind enough to give me your thoughts on something.....do you feel that the Ottawa Mint Sovereigns belong in a Canadian Type Set or are they more properly thought of as British issues?

~Tom

21 hours ago, Mohawk said:

While that particular type set holds no interest for me as a collector, I do like the idea of Type Sets and I can see how the U.S. gold set would appeal to a lot of collectors......just, for me, there are other gold coins I like a lot more and I honestly despise the Liberty Head gold designs.....just not my aesthetic at all.  But I do find the $10 Indian to be a good looking coin...the best one in that whole set, in my opinion.  And the Saint is pretty nice too.  But liking two coins doesn't make for a very enjoyable type set experience.  Type Sets are a ton of fun, and they give you a little bit of everything to enjoy.  I've been giving some serious thoughts to starting Canadian and East German type sets myself.  There's something compelling about all of the different designs and denominations all on display in one place.  And, Zebo, since you're a Sovereign collector, maybe you'd be kind enough to give me your thoughts on something.....do you feel that the Ottawa Mint Sovereigns belong in a Canadian Type Set or are they more properly thought of as British issues?

~Tom

Good question - I've never really thought about that before.  I collect all of the mints - including Ottawa, but always considered them a sub-set of Britain. So my collection includes all seven mints, from five countries.  I break the main collection down into sub-sets, England, Australia, India (one year issue), Canada and South Africa. They all had to meet British standards, except for the Sydney issues from 1855-1870. So I would not include the Canadian sovereigns in a Canadian Type set. 

The opening of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint was in 1908. As a branch of the Royal Mint, the Ottawa Mint was authorized to mint gold sovereigns, with the same legal status as sovereigns issued by the Royal Mint in Britain. So while being minted in Canada - they were under British control and standards. Others might disagree.

3 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Good question - I've never really thought about that before.  I collect all of the mints - including Ottawa, but always considered them a sub-set of Britain. So my collection includes all seven mints, from five countries.  I break the main collection down into sub-sets, England, Australia, India (one year issue), Canada and South Africa. They all had to meet British standards, except for the Sydney issues from 1855-1870. So I would not include the Canadian sovereigns in a Canadian Type set. 

The opening of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint was in 1908. As a branch of the Royal Mint, the Ottawa Mint was authorized to mint gold sovereigns, with the same legal status as sovereigns issued by the Royal Mint in Britain. So while being minted in Canada - they were under British control and standards. 

Hi Zebo,

First off, how you collect your sovereigns is really cool!! I love how you break the set down into the sub-sets you do.  And you make a very good case for the Ottawa sovereigns not being a part of a Canadian Type Set.....that'll save me a few bucks!!  Thank you so much for your insights on this, it was great to get the perspective of a sovereign collector on this one!

~Tom