• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HARD TIME TOKENS --- PATTERNS

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I contact you from Germany, please excuse my english.

Can you tell me something about hardtime tokens from ca.1863 what were striked on one side. Are these patterns?

Best regards

Andre

The United States Hard Times Tokens were issued from 1832 until 1844.

What you have might be a U.S. Civil War token. They were issued from 1861 until 1864.

One sided (for example a design on one side and blank on the other) Civil War tokens are known. None of them are officially recognized as "patterns" by Civil War Token collectors. They are unusual strikes that may have been die trials or perhaps something that was made to sell to collectors back at that time. There were collectors back then who were willing to pay a premium for something that was different or unsual.

I know that these items, when they genuine are, valuable to some collectors. My interests run more toward history and political slogans and issues, so I am not one of those collectors. If you could post pictures you will probably get a better idea of what you have.