• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy?

9 posts in this topic

Hey Y'all, I am sorry to ask but i rwally am low on cash but think I found a decent deal but it is time sensitive and I need someone else's opinion. 

If you could purchase complete rolls of Wheat Cents from all mints from each year from 1950 to 1959 for 50 bucks, sight unseen, would you?

I really would appreciate anybody advice.

No, I wouldn't. Unless they are all uncirculated, that means variable condition which in most cases means most of the pennies are worth about two cents. About a dollar a roll therefore would be an okay deal. I total that to be 26 rolls, so $25 would be a fair deal--if I wanted that many Lincs from the 1950s (I don't, but some do). Trouble is that your $25 could get you a really beautiful piece instead--one of the less rare early Lincs in MS condition, for example, or a gorgeous Mercury dime. You would not get as many coins to look through for cherrypicking, it's true, but you would likely get better value.

Hi Karen,

I have to agree with everyone else here, too.  The sight unseen would worry me at that price, and most accumulations of Wheat Cents have been extensively searched, typically multiple times.  Also, 1950's Wheats aren't worth that much unless they are in the higher uncirculated grades aside from the 1955 Doubled Die, of course.  I'd say there's better deals out there.

~Tom

Fifty dollars will buy you a nice vf-20 large cent, an MS-62+ Morgan dollar, an MS-64 Peace dollar, or even a pair of circulated classic commemoratives. None of those will give you hours of searching, but any one would be a coin to be proud to own.

Well Karen:

Buying coins for your collection is like growing peaches. I have 600/700 trees. Every year I have to decide whether I want 20 bushels from each tree that are small and not sweet and hard or whether I would rather have a handful of Large Red Sweet, tasty melt in your mouth soft peach, that yields about 4/5 bushels per tree. For $ 50.00, you can buy a certified ms65 /ms66 wheat penny from the 40's or 50's that sight unseen you can be sure its going to look really good. 26 rolls of 50's wheats add a lot of bulk but you can bet they are going to be tasteless. Just My opinion after 50 years of collecting.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Thanks for lookin out, guys.

I guess I turned my notifs completely off-just can't seem to get them right.

I did not buy the Wheat backs and went to the grocery store instead. I may be bored but I'm not hungry and that boredom it out the window now that I have removed the 1st cabinet from my kitchen wall. WooHoo! 

I did, however, order 3 rolls for .75 each from a sellor that I've dealt with before. Hopefully there will be a few nicer examples in them, if not, its less than 5 bucks.  And I have started to find dealers online that seem to be more reputable than ebay and have been looking at better quality coins. There's also a couple of FB groups that I've joined, one that helps to teach about buying and selling and one that is all about buying and selling, and I have been observing them for about a week now and maybe in a month or so I'll be ready to get my feet wet. 

Thanks again.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:33 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey Y'all, I am sorry to ask but i rwally am low on cash but think I found a decent deal but it is time sensitive and I need someone else's opinion. 

If you could purchase complete rolls of Wheat Cents from all mints from each year from 1950 to 1959 for 50 bucks, sight unseen, would you?

I really would appreciate anybody advice.

Absolutely not you will be getting$11.50 for $50 you might squeeze out $15,.00

$50 is a great price for that many rolls of bank wrapped, MS Wheat Cents. It's an OK price if they are just searched MS rolls.

If they are circulated, the 1950-1958 coins are worth about 2 cents each, the 1959s 1 cent each.