• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to this - found 1000s of coins What to do?

2 posts in this topic

I found several thousand coins a while back and don't know where to start - I mean not 500 coins but upwards of 20,000.  Flying eagles to 2006 pennies, Buffalo Nickels 4000, dimes half dollars etc.  What is a really great digital microscope and what power do I realistically require to search these?  How to organize, store etc.  Everyone seems to know the best way so I figured I would ask the best!  NGC

3 hours ago, robertsmartt said:

I found several thousand coins a while back and don't know where to start - I mean not 500 coins but upwards of 20,000.  Flying eagles to 2006 pennies, Buffalo Nickels 4000, dimes half dollars etc.  What is a really great digital microscope and what power do I realistically require to search these?  How to organize, store etc.  Everyone seems to know the best way so I figured I would ask the best!  NGC

This is just my personal preference, but I think I would buy a good quality loupe, rather than a digital microscope - maybe a multi lens like this one:

image.thumb.png.58381501128d18e2a37ac02cc2d9be71.png

You can use the low power lens for separating by date and mintmark, the medium to view scratches and nicks, and to check for repunched mintmarks, etc., and the high power for taking a really close look. Separate by denomination, design, then maybe by date, get a good light source, make a pot of coffee, and have fun.

Make sure you wear gloves - cotton  preferably - or at the very least, handle the coins by the edge only, to avoid getting oils from your skin on the surface. If you find something worth saving, and it sounds like you will, put them in 2x2s or flips to protect them from further damage. (you can find those at hobby shops, Books-a Million, online suppliers, etc.)

DO NOT clean your coins. You will lower or completely destroy any numismatic value they may have.

And, take a look at this post  for more good advice: https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/73947-what-you-need-to-know-inherited-coin-collections/