• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Known Sellers of Counterfeit Coins
2 2

86 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Starbuy said:

. We need stronger laws to protect our hobbies. 

What additional laws do you suggest be implemented?

(And, in case I have not done so previously, "Welcome to the forum.")

Respectfully, is it any wonder eBay is planning to make the sale of coins difficult. It is getting so bad out there in cyberspace that in fairly short order we will have distinctions being made between authorized fakes and inauthentic counterfeits. Nice work, Just Bob!

There is a slabbed NGC 1 oz gold coin I am considering buying on eBay.  The coin is a proof with a limited run of about 1,000 I think, and they are all numbered.  The seller has less than 100 feedbacks.  Should I be wary of buying a slabbed gold coin like this on eBay?  Do people break the slabs and replace the coins?  I've never spent bought a coin at this price but I really like/want it!

If I do buy it, can I send it in to the NGC for validation?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Artlicious said:

There is a slabbed NGC 1 oz gold coin I am considering buying on eBay.  The coin is a proof with a limited run of about 1,000 I think, and they are all numbered.  The seller has less than 100 feedbacks.  Should I be wary of buying a slabbed gold coin like this on eBay?  Do people break the slabs and replace the coins?  I've never spent bought a coin at this price but I really like/want it!

If I do buy it, can I send it in to the NGC for validation?

Thanks!

Well there is a dealer I buy from in tenn..........he's legit........sellers name is hallssteam90 .

On 12/19/2020 at 9:56 AM, Starbuy said:

Counterfeits are sold in all internet sites from Walmart to Ebay to Facebook. We need stronger laws to protect our hobbies. 

The Chinese have expanded their coin industry to include very modern coins, medals, commens, etc.  Producing forgeries of all goods is a lucrative business in China and Eastern Europe.

@Just Bob permit me to be the first to make a complaint in the new year, 2021, which is practically half over.

Recently, I offered to buy Idhair's 1837 bust half dollar (condition, well-worn, Poor-About Good would be being generous) and he countered with: "You wouldn't be interested. It is counterfeit."  

My question:  Is it proper to showcase counterfeit coins on a "Follow the lead" lead, where the OP has been the sole threadmaster (and taskmaster) for nearly 15 years?

And what is the point of displaying counterfeit coins, not identified as such, in the first place?

You can investigate the matter yourself.  All exchanges of conversation remain intact.

I believe in the USA it is against the law to sell or buy a counterfeit coin unless it is stamped "COPY".

In Canada it is also illegal to own a counterfeit, stamped or not.

New to collecting on a large scale, dabbled for years with no real goal. Started getting serious during the covid lockdown to keep busy. Seeing the stories about fakes concerns me greatly. I mainly have bought NGC/PCGS coins and few IGC. They look real and the slabs are intact. My worry is for some cheaper coins that were not certified is did I buy a forgery. I intend to have my Morgans certified. I guess that will tell me what I bought. I suspect the adage - it is looks to good to be true, be aware'. For me and I am sure other newbees, this will be a turn-off. I will drive on, but the information I have gleaned here will certainly help me be fully cautious.

This is an old thread I found doing some research on certain coins, and I thought it was worth reviving as counterfeiting does harm to collectors which has been discussed in a few recent threads.

[If anyone thinks I am going to weigh in on this thread--and risk marginalization and excommunication and banishment all over again, because it's been "revived,"--you're sadly mistaken, so don't hold your breath.]  😉  

Also, what about eBay sellers who misrepresent a coin as an older more valuable coin, like this one from fashionandglamdesings who lists a common 2010 $1 coin worth about that as "1 dollar 16 President Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865 coins" implying that it's from the mid-1800's for a price of $500: 1 dollar 16 President Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865 coins | eBay

And another one listed for, get this, $1,899 here .. 1 dollar lincoln | eBay

2010 1 dollar lincoln - $1,899 eBay raimova2012.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Wholesale website Temu.

Like Aliexpress, DH Gate, Alibaba, and other direct-from-China websites, this site contains NO genuine US coins. Everything sold there is fake.

Edited by Just Bob

On 10/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, NevadaS&G said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/other-products/412632.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.1.87c0348aSLOcFx

Just came across a crude 1882 CC MS65 morgan that some guy was selling on Etsy for 200 bucks, Wonder where he got it from. A new collector wont know the difference.

"I am a Chinese coin collectors,I have a factory of production coin.

I could provide the best coins and best service for you." :roflmao:

I followed the above link to "Lucy Coin Store".  It is unbelievable.  The counterfeit coins for sale there are actually slabbed in quite convincing PCGS holders and the numbers on the holders are genuine certification numbers of the exact coin that is being counterfeited.  So, if the number is looked up on the PCGS site, it will return information matching the counterfeit coin!  So frustrating.  There should be a special prison for these despicable people and malicious computer hackers.