• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969 S Nickel with Full Steps?

11 posts in this topic

Hi! I am a total newbie to coin collecting, but I have a 1969 S Nickel that I think may have full steps. I need to know if it is a proof coin, since I don’t know how to tell, and if this would qualify as full steps? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

B203FF28-80FC-4CDC-BFCE-0DB4D8A1D35D.jpeg

20432A97-E8CE-4565-B58F-41D42BE2A6C9.jpeg

An impaired proof is a proof coin which has been spent and has entered circulation.  While this doesn't happen a whole lot, it does happen from time to time.......think about grandparents buying proof sets for uninterested grandchildren and then the grandchildren in question see something in a store which they cannot live without....hence the proof coins end up in circulation.  And I think that's what you have as well.  1969 nickels from both mints usually look pretty terrible.  They have weak strikes, poor luster.....you name it!  On the other hand, proofs are always struck at least twice, so they almost always have excellent detail, even when they've been in circulation for a little while.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

Hi, Tom! Thank you so much for answering. It is my understanding that this would be worth a lot if it is NOT a proof. How can I tell for sure? I really appreciate both of you helping out a newbie. 😃

It isn't full steps. There's a ding in the bottom step. Also, it has a pretty major dent in the dome that is detracting.

Whether it were an impaired proof (I concur that it is) or a dinged business strike with light wear would not make much difference in its value, which is not very much.

1 hour ago, Thomas Kurr said:

I have one that's a little rotaded

And unless it's more than 15% rotation, just cool to have.