• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Bullion - a road to no where

3 posts in this topic

I started out collecting silver bullion after doing "research" (mainly YouTube), under the assumption that silver was the place to invest. After a while I noticed that there is alot of silver in the market and in the ground. Slowly I have been trading my bullion for numismatic coins, and I actually see my investment growing now. Am I the only one that went down this path?

The “acid test” to see if your numismatic investment is really growing is to try to sell something and see if you turn a profit. Numbers in prices guides are just that, numbers. When people are willing to lay cash on the barrel, that proves the worth of your investment. 

I have been a collector since the early 1960s and was a dealer from the mid 1990s to the middle of the last decade. I did fairly well, but I brought a lot of experience to the table before I started buying and selling. 

I agree with you. Holding the asset is one thing, but when you sell it (a whole new part of the game beings). I started down the road of investing in American Silver Eagles, then after 2 years realized there is not a silver shortage. I love collecting coins that are unique and have their own character, they are not one of 500,000,000 coins (like the ASE). Learning about the coins I am collecting is also  something I enjoy.