• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huge Chinese cash coin - maybe fake vault protection coin?

16 posts in this topic

At least it shouldn't qualify as a choking hazard!  The coin in this picture has a diameter of 57.8 cm (22.8 in), a thickness of 3.7 cm (1.5 in) and a weight of 41.5 kg (91.5 lbs).  The coin was cast during the reign of Emperor Shi Zong (1522-1567).

china_cash.jpg

8 hours ago, RWB said:

There's a good reason it sold for 38 Euros.....Can anyone guess?  ;)

15.4mm 56.0mm  (typo) should have been much smaller ???

Well it isn't a fake! :)

I continued looking for information and asking around in various places and am getting a bit closer. It appears that at the auction house made mistake with the size specifications, but I haven't been able to verify. Here's the only clear other reference to the coin on the web thus far, and it appears to be the exact same piece:

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=193371

If anyone else can find a different cast, piece or more information it would be greatly appreciated.

This coin is most likely a peace charm (thanks to the experts who pointed supplied me with useful info on these as well as the ancient vault protector coins) which were often of different size and cast in times of unrest or trouble...

19 hours ago, RWB said:

Is that the number of Twinkies an Apatosaurus can eat in one bite?

i love your humour Just Bob :)

as for the approx. value ... the catalogue 'classic chinese charms' by Edward H. from 2004 (i don't have the later upates) lists it as around 4500 RMB ... see below:

Classic Chinese Charms 490a.jpg

I showed the coin from the OP to a Chinese friend of mine.  He said that symbol on the left essentially means "good luck", but did not know what the other symbols meant.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:09 AM, glimmer said:

i love your humour Just Bob :)

as for the approx. value ... the catalogue 'classic chinese charms' by Edward H. from 2004 (i don't have the later upates) lists it as around 4500 RMB ... see below:

Classic Chinese Charms 490a.jpg

Walmart's first try at a smiley face symbol....what do you expect from a marketing committee on Friday afternoon?

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM, RWB said:

So... what is the reason?