• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is my 1804 silver dollar real or fake?

7 posts in this topic

I'm new so I have I got a clue, I didn't even know about 1804 dollars untill I picked this one up out of a few because it was the oldest, I'll post the other side in the replies, images are too large

Also it's non magnetic and is 37mm in diamiter

IMG_20180625_213631.jpg

Bob is absolutely right, it's a fake, unfortunately.  There are a ton of fakes of the 1804 dollar as it is a well known extreme rarity.  I think that there's something like 15 of them that are known to exist and they sell for millions of dollars when they are offered for sale.  Any future offerings of 1804 dollars are something I would run from.

I'd go so far as to say that it's not even a very good quality counterfeit. It just looks crappy. No offense to the OP, just calling it as one sees it.

I was perusing the Newman/Bresset book on the 1804 dollar last night. Does anyone know which example is the one owned by Trade Dollar Nut? I don't know his real name.

On 6/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, Just Bob said:

I was perusing the Newman/Bresset book on the 1804 dollar last night. Does anyone know which example is the one owned by Trade Dollar Nut? I don't know his real name.

I believe he owns the Dexter/Pogue example.