• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to coin collecting

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I'm new to the coin collecting world and really want to learn as much as possible. I only have a few coins right now but I look forward to learning and growing. I would like to be able to expand my collection and maybe try to sell some if I have any coins worth anything. I look forward to meeting new people that can help me learn and get started with all this. 

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I would advise buying yourself a "Red Book" aka Guide Book of United States coins if you do not already have one, and go slow with the buying and selling until you advance your knowledge. Find one series you like and try to learn as much about it as possible. And find other coin forums as well, this one, meaning no disrespect, is kinda slow.

Best regards,

George

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of coins. If you haven't already purchased one you should get a copy of "A Guide Book of US Coins," also known as the Red Book. The information it contains is invaluable even to an advanced collector. Bear in mind though,  that the values given in there are mostly high retail prices, and not really useful for determining what your coins might bring if you sold them.  

There are knowledgeable people on this forum who will be happy to assist you if you have questions.

Looks like VDB  was quicker on the draw.:)

Thank you both for the welcome. It's very much appreciated. I have been trying to get into the Lincoln pennies. I have some wheat pennies that I have had for some years now. And a bunch of random copper pennies. And my 1943-p Jefferson war nickel. It's kind of a start I guess... Lol

Welcome Robert,

Coin collecting is fun and at the same time it can be profitable.

Pick your favorite series and purchase a few coins based on your value knowledge learned.

Now --- sell a coin or two and that will get you to understand the real value of your collection.

I have this 1962-d penny that looks better than all my coins. It looks like it just came off the line. How do you grade something like that or is it not worth more then just a penny? Just wondering if anyone might know anything about it??