• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why is my 1944 penny rusting?

9 posts in this topic

Probably not "rusting" but it may be corroding.  Iron rusts, with the oxidation flaking and spalling,  Copper corrodes and the oxidation tend to remain as a solid well attached lump.  Do you have images?

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Conder101 said:

Probably not "rusting" but it may be corroding.� Iron rusts, with the oxidation flaking and spalling,� Copper corrodes and the oxidation tend to remain as a solid well attached lump.� Do you have images?

I have one of these rusting pennies as well, had my heart racing until the magnet didn't pick it up. Still very curious as to why it is rusting. I can make a picture available if I can figure out how to get it off my phone.

Definite corrosion.  I've seen this type of environmental damage before on both Canadian and US Small Cents.  It's pretty common.  Looks like Conder was right on with his hypothesis.  He usually is :)

On 6/22/2018 at 4:04 PM, Thomas Kurr said:

1944 steel penny?

Wow.  Let's not jump right to that one........

I recently gifted a full burlap mint bag full of zinc coated steel cents...rust and/or corrosion on almost every one. I guess they're neat in a way, I kept the ones with die cracks for a long term project, the girls in the office are glad they are gone, well technically it was a trade...