• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC limiting Coin Lookups?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, I didn't think much of it but it seems to have some implications. Apparently NGC has a new limit on the number of coin lookups you can do per day (Its like 10 or so) and then your not allowed to look up anymore!

Quote from a person from another forum:

"I know this will not affect a lot of collectors, but this surely is affecting me and soon will affect a lot of my clients.

I noticed that NGC recently implemented a new limit as to the number of coins you are allowed to look up on their system. I think the limit is set to 8 or 10 lookups, whether you are a registered user or not.

My problem is that I am buying more than 10 coins a day from various sources and need to verify the coins before I buy them. Even worse, I get a lot of sellers asking me to sell their coins. Here too I need to verify the authenticity of the coins before I sell them on behalf of my clients.

This is placing me in a difficult situation, I am no longer able to verify all the coins I am interested in buying and selling and this is leading me to a situation where I may need to ask clients to have all NGC graded coins sent to PCGS or else I can no longer buy and sell NGC coins. I have also seen this being discussed by other sellers and buyers.

Does anyone know if NGC is aware of this? This comes amid a time where I am seeing an increase in fake NGC holders. "

NGC please do something about this!!!

• Administrator
Thank you for your post. There is no limit to the number of lookups that you can do in the Verify NGC Certification tool. We do, however, throttle (slow) the number of lookups that a particular user can do when our system identifies unusual patterns. For example, if the system notices that a user has a high percentage of incorrect lookups or lookups that were done extremely rapidly, we may slow the number of lookups that user can do for a period of time.

These measures were implemented to help ensure the security of our database and prevent “bots” from crawling our certification data. In the vast majority of cases a user can do unlimited lookups without interruptions if they have valid NGC certification numbers and grades.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:06 AM, Matt G said:
Thank you for your post. There is no limit to the number of lookups that you can do in the Verify NGC Certification tool. We do, however, throttle (slow) the number of lookups that a particular user can do when our system identifies unusual patterns. For example, if the system notices that a user has a high percentage of incorrect lookups or lookups that were done extremely rapidly, we may slow the number of lookups that user can do for a period of time.

These measures were implemented to help ensure the security of our database and prevent “bots” from crawling our certification data. In the vast majority of cases a user can do unlimited lookups without interruptions if they have valid NGC certification numbers and grades.

You are doing it to me. I itemize the coins I have to sell on a google sheet first and then copy and paste them into your search so I know the numbers are accurate. If you are asking people to input the numbers manually without writing that down anywhere that is just poor business practices. I am in charge of settling my Father in Law's coin collection and to be able to do that correctly and itemize for taxes I have to have a process that is as error resistant as possible. I have literal hundreds of coins to go through and verify and this is completely impossible with the search tool being throttled for no good reason. Please hear the community and how you are causing us to not be able to use your services at all because of this. It took me 4 days to input 600 PCGS coins and after 3 days I have 16 NGS coins done... What am I supposed to tell my husband and my Dad? come on.

I started having trouble with the "exceeds limits" problem this weekend but it's Wednesday now and I still can't get it to work.  No response from NGC yet maybe they are just swamped but it is frustrating.

Is there anyway to get a "reset"  I've been stuck for over a week probably because I kept making typo over 10 days ago.  But no one responds to me.   Thanks for telling me it isn't just me