• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this shield cent twice the width of a normal one?

8 posts in this topic

It definitely different than a normal 2014 shield cent what caused this? This forum won't let me post more pictures but the coin also has a ridge on the obverse and along the edge the back is like glass.it does weight the same though I'm stumpped

1529548832928295529976.jpg

Something has been done to it, I suspect an early stage dryer coin, You will note the copper plating is gone from the edge.  Something has compressed the edge, probably with a rolling motion, and that has widened the edge while wearing off the copper.

23 minutes ago, Thomas Kurr said:

hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?B|

The OP stated that it was a shield cent, and weighed the same as her other cents, therefore, it could not be "two nickels punched together."

15 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The OP stated that it was a shield cent, and weighed the same as her other cents, therefore, it could not be "two nickels punched together."

Exactly.