• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will NGC.......

10 posts in this topic

Allow for ANACS, ICG, SEGs, etc,  crossovers?

I have several coins that are in ANACS old soap box holders that I want in NGC plastic, but I'm not going to cross it over to PCGS just to then cross it over to NGC. 

I know they stated many of the coins that were sent in did not cross over in the past, which is why they now only allow for PCGS crossovers, but if the customer is willing to pay to have the coin looked at, why don't they offer this? 

Doesn't this push more collectors towards PCGS when they buy coins from all different TPGs?

Is there just not a big enough market of crossovers from these companies to even make an effort? Has the market not changed since they discontinued this practice? 

Wouldn't this look nice in some NGC plastic? 

53.jpg

I believe that if NGC thought there were a large enough market for crossovers from other holders, they would already be offering the service.

Mark is correct. Past has proven that ANACS, ICG, SEG's and so on do not  cross. They all end up a grade or 2 lower than the TPG grades listed on the holders. PCGS has the best chance of crossing. Want them in NGC holders -- submit them for grading, not crossing.

I cracked mine out prior to submission. :)

My advice is if you want it in another holder, crack it out and send it in raw. I think that you have two strikes against you when you submit a coin from grading in someone else's holder.

As I understand it, the only supposed advantages to crossing PCGS are 1) that you don't have to give NGC permission to crack the coin out and 2) NGC won't crack it out if you tell them not to (if it doesn't grade as requested). I've not sent anything in myself other than raw or in a PCGS holder, but it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't some sort of bias with a second tier TPG. Perhaps it is worth asking about the process; i.e. if the second tier coin is cracked out before the graders see the coin, then there should be no bias and you have the advantage of NGC doing the cracking out. Presumably they are better at it. One has to give NGC permission to crack non-PCGS coins out and absolve them of responsibilty. A form is provided for this. But fact check me on all this, been a while since I looked. 

They used to allow crossovers from other companies, but so few crossed (other than PCGS) and they had to deal with too many people upset that their coins wouldn't cross that they eliminated the crossover option for non-PCGS slabs.  As mentioned now if you submit slabs from other services you have to give them permission to crack them out.

So sorry BIGTEE, you missed the boat.

Pretty coin!  I previously successfully crossed, at grade, two ANACS holders.  Now, Im looking predominantly for coins already in NGC holders to avoid the hassle.  Its getting pretty tough to find coins that I want though!

NGC coins can be found if you look in the right places. Remember there are similar numbers of PCGS and NGC coins graded but probably PCGS coins are offered for sale by at least 3 or 4 to one. Dealers who sell only PCGS coins are limited to a small portion of the market. Some claim they are more marketable. Their justification for this is puzzling and misguiding. The reasons for this are just like politics, that is people tend to believe what they hear without paying any attention to reality or a bigger picture. Take those blinders off and see what there is to see.

Percentage-wise I've gotten more upgrades from coins out of ANACS slabs and more downgrades from PCGS.  Wish I'd kept a spreadsheet of all of them, but the older ANACS do tend to do well.  It may be selection or memory (or both) bias at work though.  It'd be interesting to take a random sampling and see what really goes on.  For my main collections I kind of feel like at PCGS they give the grade a bonus point for eye appeal.  I'd rather get a technical grade and judge eye appeal for myself.  Though really I don't crack much unless it's something for a registry set (which I like for documentation purposes if nothing else).

All I know is my slab cracker (aka spouse) complains the most when I hand him a SEGS.  Those are beasts!  I don't think even the USPS can crack those.