• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this maybe an Internally Split Clad Layer or just a crack?

13 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, if you see there on the Reverse side bottom this runs from the 9 way over to 2nd U im PLURIBUS.  I think it looks pretty identical to the picture in Error Ref. of the Planchet Error Internally Split Clad Layer. What do you think?0619182201a-1.thumb.jpg.aa5ac32c82e2dee874c25457d0774693.jpg0619182201-1.thumb.jpg.1e4ae271e88ced1384ca551856c3e651.jpg

Screenshot_2018-06-19-22-03-48-1.png

Screenshot_2018-06-19-22-11-59.png

On 6/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey y'all, if you see there on the Reverse side bottom this runs from the 9 way over to 2nd U im PLURIBUS.  I think it looks pretty identical to the picture in Error Ref. of the Planchet Error Internally Split Clad Layer. What do you think?0619182201a-1.thumb.jpg.aa5ac32c82e2dee874c25457d0774693.jpg0619182201-1.thumb.jpg.1e4ae271e88ced1384ca551856c3e651.jpg

Screenshot_2018-06-19-22-03-48-1.png

Screenshot_2018-06-19-22-11-59.png

Looks like a defective planchet error to me or an obstructed die from deterioration has caused clad layer to crack when struck either way, I do believe this is a true error! I could be wrong but I have a 1923 S Buffalo nickel defective planchet error that cracked in the early stages of minting process, with very similar looking defect, take a look! Yours looks quite a bit like this! Here is why it's,*early stage or from beginning stage and not later stages, in yours the clad has covered the copper core and copper is not exposed so happened in the earlier stages, I do not believe it's a clad layer error at all nor improperly anealed, because I think the planchet was defective already at the time of clad process! This is a defective planchet 23 S Buffalo below! I believe yours is too, I could be wrong though, however I believe I am pretty accurate in saying so! Another words the damaging of planchet or defect happened before clad process also if it were a peeling clad layer or improperly annealed planchet error it would be contained to just that layer like paint on a board instead of paint over an already broken board all together, and this an entire cracked layer not (for lack of better word)"peeling paint" Like I said I'm no expert I could be wrong, but I do believe it to be a true defective planchet mint error! As to value I am unsure, but cool coin in any case and to be on a Puerto Rico quarter, I'd say a little more rare or scarce with little bit more value, Hope this helps! Capone1929

15300347785991665758332.jpg

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

Obviously, you have the coin in hand, and I don't, but my first reaction was "die crack."

That was my other hypothesis and another option I was looking into, but was pretty sure a die or planchet error in any case, and not post mint damage or clad error, Thanks Bob note to self and I learned something as well, Sincerely, Capone1929

9 minutes ago, Capone1929 said:

That was my other hypothesis and another option I was looking into, but was pretty sure a die or planchet error in any case, and not post mint damage or clad error, Thanks Bob note to self and I learned something as well, So a question here if it's a die crack and not a split planchet, would this be considered late stages or early stages so that I'm not giving inaccurate info, Thanks Sincerely, Capone1929

So Is a die crack error early stages or later do to a die being worn I'm guessing latter stages but could you clarify the stages of error clad error Im sure is early, but cracked or defective I'm not quite sure of defective I believe is early stage cracked die latter stages, am I correct and accurate? Could you elaborate a little on stages? I believe cracked die can happen in all stages but before clad which makes it early stage accurate or no? Thank you for your time, Capone1929

I agree with Capone.....defective planchet and, yes, it is a true error! Nice find!

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I agree with Capone.....defective planchet and, yes, it is a true error! Nice find!

Thanks Mohawk! So Karen as it stands 3 out of 3 agree it's a true mint error, 2/3 agree it's a defective planchet error! Nice find, take care of it, don't clean it, take care of it to preserve luster and value! Good luck! Capone1929

13 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Why?

Definitely not fake, here is why I believe with confidence it is not fake or counterfeit! If someone was going to fake or counterfeit a coin, the person would probably not fake a regular Puerto Rico modern Washington quarter, they would choose a much more rare, valuable, and simply an easier coin to fake! Not a .25 modern coin worth .25, although yours is an error and more than the .25 face value, would you fake a modern .25 coin? Or would you fake say a 1909 S Indian Head cent worth .01 face value approx $200-$500 coin value? A coin that is much easier to hide the tool marks and imperfections through fake aging, wizzing, corrosion, etc. to look like age? Make sense gee .25 worth .25 or .01 worth $200 on up? Make sense? I know neither of us would do so guaranteed, was using it as an example, a criminal out to get rich quick a modern .25 coin hard to fake and anything but a rich quick scheme unless minting a million or so of them! That would take 5 lifetimes to do btw! Wouldn't live long enough to see it pay off lol! Also to further this notion of genuine why clad and not silver? Also that error can't be faked no matter how hard you try to, or try to recreate that, it happens through a natural mint process and not in someone's garage or shop! It would be much more evident if fake. You can be confident it is genuine, it is real, and you have a very neat specimen! Fakes are 99.99999% of the time not a layered planchet style of coin, and the fakes are usually made of one solid piece of metal such as an unlayered 90% solid silver morgan dollar, a solid bronze or copper type coin, or a nickel, and or a coin similar in metal composition. Although it is possible for a layered coin to be fake most usually only split in a normal mint process and not a counterfeit type set up as they are solid and don't normally split without noticeable tale tale counterfeit signs to the point the coin is ruined anyway. An example of an already layered coin for example is a coin stamped into another with diff date or a coin pressed into another as well to create an Illusion, but will almost always show tale tale signs to hide defects, to not show the defects is nearly impossible! But very uncommon in modern coins in any case especially a U.S. Modern quarter so Unless it's a 1883 no cent V nickel dipped in gold to look gold and passed as solid gold! That's an example of a common fake that was layered! It does have a clad layer but would be more like a peel than a crack in a sold layer Or something like that similar nature, rest assured your quarter is not fake! Clad is extremely hard and difficult to work with, a crook would choose a much softer easirr to work with metal like gold, silver, or copper, as it is also more valuable😀 I may not be 100% accurate but ultimately not a coin a crook would normally choose to fake as it is too much work for such little payoff. And very difficult to work with! That quarter would look like hell and not as nice as yours I assure you! The clad layer on obverse and reverse would look hammered big time, like ran over by a car many times over type hammered! I have read and studied counterfeit coins extensively, although I'm no expert, and maybe not 100% accurate, your quarter is NOT fake! Capone1929

Preach it Capone! Here I am doing what I said I was done with because of your words. Too funny. Made my day. I have my first error. Thanks. Out