• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Consistency of NGC graders

13 posts in this topic

ATS I saw a link to a lawsuit in which NGC played a key role: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1709047.html  In that file, in “Part B The Defense Case” the defense “expert” checked NGC’s grading of 1,671 coins. These coins went through what is apparently NGC’s usual 3-person grading in which two graders initially grade the coin and then a finalizer determines the ultimate grade. Of these coins, the initial two graders had the same grade 90% (!!) of the time. They differed on only 167 coins and of these coins ONLY 11 had a discrepancy of 2 or more points. It’s hard to tell the range of the grades, but apparently they ranged from about MS65 to AU50. I presume that a difference in grades of AU55 and AU53 would count as a difference of “2 or more points,” even though it’s actually a difference of only one grade. Nonetheless, I think that the consistency of NGC’s graders is truly remarkable.

Mark

Mark,

I completely agree with you.  NGC's graders are the best.  One of my major pursuits, Canadian Cameo Proof Like Coinage, can be extremely difficult to grade properly and understanding what is needed to warrant a Cameo or Ultra Cameo designation that isn't just acceptable to the US market, but to the Canadian and International markets, is even more difficult.  I have found NGC's graders to be remarkably accurate in grading Canadian PL coins, much more so than any other service.  They are also amazingly consistent there as well, and I've learned so much since I've started submitting coins for grading to NGC.  They're a great service that add so much to our hobby!

~Tom

I agree that they are very good in the actual grading. However the assignment of the * Star designation is where I believe they are inconsistent. I think the * Star designation is more of an opinion, but there seems to be inconsistent assignment in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Simple Collector said:

I agree that they are very good in the actual grading. However the assignment of the * Star designation is where I believe they are inconsistent. I think the * Star designation is more of an opinion, but there seems to be inconsistent assignment in my opinion.

I have a problem with across the street that I briefly mentioned in another thread . And that is the owner of a grading company Hawking gold as the next big thing...

How much of PCGS guaranty will cover his statements and is he thinking that his #1 (in his mind) grading company boards is a place to hawk bullion?

15 hours ago, Simple Collector said:

Well....the Star designation is for superior eye appeal, which is subjective.  One person's superior eye appeal may be hideous in the eye of another.  So, by it's very nature, the Star would be inconsistent in my mind. 

16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Well....the Star designation is for superior eye appeal, which is subjective.  One person's superior eye appeal may be hideous in the eye of another.  So, by it's very nature, the Star would be inconsistent in my mind. 

The Star designation is much more complicated than that. It is also used to denote a coin that just missed a designation, such as PL or CAM, or a coin that is PL or Cameo only on the obverse. Further, A PL of CAM coin with a DPL or DCAM obverse will be graded "* PL" or "* CAM."

4 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

The Star designation is much more complicated than that. It is also used to denote a coin that just missed a designation, such as PL or CAM, or a coin that is PL or Cameo only on the obverse. Further, A PL of CAM coin with a DPL or DCAM obverse will be graded "* PL" or "* CAM."

Indeed, you are correct and I should have thought to add that....I've had that happen with coins I've submitted! Ah well, I can't get everything perfect.  Thanks for adding that level of clarity to the discussion.

I have received stars in past submissions and missed out on some. In all good reasons for missing out. Mainly due to the coin not even on both sides weather it be toning or PL. NGC does a great job on deciphering weather the star is worthy in my opinion. 

I think NGC is spot on with consistency these days and have seen problems with PCGS coins that wont cross. I also appreciate reasons noted as to why they wont cross such as 'abrasion in hair' or 'altered color', And since we combine topics now here's this. My complaint to NGC has been shrugged off a few times and it is this: Slow return registered mail. I understand it is not an NGC problem but last package took 11 days to my house after spending 3 days in Tampa. According to my local post office they recognize this and still nobody does anything about it. Shipping to and from California from here is twice as far but right at 7 days. Is it just me ?

USPS registered shipping to and from NGC is horrendous, at least to where I live. Priority shipping is much faster and only a day or two slower than the USPS estimates. Shipping high value coins - you're stuck because of the insurance costs. Registered it is.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:06 AM, numisport said:

I think NGC is spot on with consistency these days and have seen problems with PCGS coins that wont cross. I also appreciate reasons noted as to why they wont cross such as 'abrasion in hair' or 'altered color', And since we combine topics now here's this. My complaint to NGC has been shrugged off a few times and it is this: Slow return registered mail. I understand it is not an NGC problem but last package took 11 days to my house after spending 3 days in Tampa. According to my local post office they recognize this and still nobody does anything about it. Shipping to and from California from here is twice as far but right at 7 days. Is it just me ?

NGC should treat shipping differently for lower-valued coins. I can accept the burden of an extra week when justified, but I've had coins and medals graded and holdered just to protect them, and for consistency. 

excellent read!

I just got the results of my NGC order and the actual coins should get to me in a few days. I was disappointed as many of the world coins I sent got AU details-environmental damage. I looked at them and thought they were fine and some dealers that have more experience than myself thought they were fine. Though I'm disappointed I'm glad NGC graders caught these and when I get them back I'll examine closely to avoid this same mistake. I'm happy that they aren't straight grading anything and everything, my confidence in them is even greater now.  There were some coins that i figured would get details but had hoped maybe NGC would be lax on, but nope so honestly thats good as they are doing their job!