• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 gram coin bronze?

9 posts in this topic

I have a coin I can't identify it weighs 3 grams and has slight markings can see a triangular line along with pilliars I'm on coin chat and they are telling me its not a Lincoln cent. It is about 2 millimeters thick and 24 millimeters wide. Can someone help

20180617_205640.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks like a Lincoln Memorial Cent that was flattened out from 19mm to 24.

Looks to me like a brutally worn Shield nickel--but the official diameter of a Shield is 20.5mm, so it can't be that. 24.3mm is a Barber quarter at least, and as with nickels, the size has not varied over the years. I guess it's possible it could be a brutalized 2-cent piece, but that had an official diameter of 23mm, so the question then would be how does it get to 24mm, and the answer is "I think not."

It may not be American, in which case you'd have a world of coins to dig through. Almost literally.

KI think my measurements are off because it's just a tad larger than a Lincoln center me measure it again it0s just a hair over 3/4 of an inch sorry for reading the tape measure wrong

2 hours ago, Amarillis said:

KI think my measurements are off because it's just a tad larger than a Lincoln center me measure it again it0s just a hair over 3/4 of an inch sorry for reading the tape measure wrong

That's not precise enough, but it would take us back to a badly worn Shield nickel, which is what that surface resembles and what I now think it probably is. Of course, we only have one side's image, so we are missing some other important information.

He posted the same coin on another forum and it is a shield nickel, the rev is almost slick but one or two of the circle of stars does show.

And for the OP's further reference, 'bronze' is an inaccurate descriptor of a Shield nickel. Those are 75% Cu, 25% Ni--a long-standing Cu/Ni alloy used in many, many coins worldwide. Solid Ni is really tough stuff, difficult to strike; to my knowledge, it has mostly been used in Canadian coins, likely because Canada has historically been one of the world's top nickel producers.

8 hours ago, JKK said:

And for the OP's further reference, 'bronze' is an inaccurate descriptor of a Shield nickel. Those are 75% Cu, 25% Ni--a long-standing Cu/Ni alloy used in many, many coins worldwide. Solid Ni is really tough stuff, difficult to strike; to my knowledge, it has mostly been used in Canadian coins, likely because Canada has historically been one of the world's top nickel producers.

Indeed nickel is tough to strike.  Just to share some knowledge, a few other countries aside from Canada have used pure nickel in coinage, but not many.  As far as I know, only Canada, the Ottoman Empire, the Netherlands, Germany and France have done the pure nickel thing.  But there could be others that I am unaware of.