• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me what's up with the edge of this 85 Memorial Cent?

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I hope this Father's Day finds you all well and in good spirits. Or at least into the Spirits. Lol! Yeah, I don't drink either. Maybe I should start? Anyway, I started going through my post 1982 Memorial Cents today and I've loomed at 3 so far and have questions about 2 of them. Yep, I'm on a Penny Roll for sure. This on 1985 has a funky edge that is on both sides and opposite each other. I'm hoping it's not a Doubled Collar because them I'd be the worlds biggest Dummy-looking forward to seeing how they change that word. So can anybody explain it to me, please? You see how it cuts down underneath AMERICA? THANKS A BUNCH!!!

0617182121a-1-1.jpg

0617182119b-1.jpg

0617182117b-1.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to the weak rim at the bottom of the obverse, or the raised line running through AMERICA.  The weakness may be caused if the die facesa re slightly out of parallel with each other, the raised line, the result of beginning die deterioration.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, Conder101 said:

Not sure what you are referring to the weak rim at the bottom of the obverse, or the raised line running through AMERICA.  The weakness may be caused if the die facesa re slightly out of parallel with each other, the raised line, the result of beginning die deterioration.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, Conder101 said:

Looks to me like possibly a misaligned die and die deterioration, gas bubbles from heat during minting process cause bubbles as well, how ever they look much more like the surface of the moon and more speratic throughout usually, can't tell quite from pics so not sure but the misaligned die seems to have caused some doubling as well, but with pics not sure if it's shadow or actually doubling, I could be wrong though, Capone929

Sorry I haven't replied before now....this one had me kind of stumped....I wasn't really sure what I was looking at but I agree with the misaligned die and die deterioration hypothesis.  I could see now how those two factors would result in your coin, Karen.