• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1792 Quarter Dollar
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum. Since there are only 4 known examples of that pattern in white metal, I would bet yours is a copy.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. Since there are only 4 known examples of that pattern in white metal, I would bet yours is a copy.

Regardless of how rare the genuine examples are, yours is a poorly made copy. I have examined one of the genuine ones in hand and the differences seen on yours make it easy to identify as a copy.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRios said:

Just want to know what makes it a replica so I can know with my other coins. Thank you by the way.

If you haven't done so, I would start by comparing it to images of a confirmed genuine example.

Not all replica coins are made poorly where someone with little experience can immediately distinguish one from the other. In the case of the coin you posted, there are what appear to be blobs of raised metal on the rim, a genuine example (looking at images on the internet of real examples) this anomaly should not be evident. The overall look in general is off which makes it suspect, that and the known quantity making it EXTREEMLY rare makes it doubtful it is genuine.

Note: If MarkFeld claims it's a fake, the I'm 99.99% convinced that it is a replica.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRios said:

Thank you W Jefferson. Is it worth getting it checked? 

Sorry no, it would not be prudent to send this replica to a grading service as they would just return it to you as counterfeit and your out the shipping/grading fee. Feel free to take it to a reputable dealer though and let them give it the once over. Save your money though if they ask for an appraisal fee.

Note: A poster to your thread, Mr. Mark Feld was an ex-grader at NGC, had his own coin business on-line and now works for Heritage Auctions (coin section) so with that said, I would be satisfied my question was answered by an expert in the field.

Can anyone verify if it's a original one.. it has all same designs and it's being in my family since my great grand father times he was a crew members of shipment cruise that travels around world.. please check if I am not wrong I found the valuable history of USA the coin was minted during US mint building was not build yet was under construction..

IMG-20210314-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210314-WA0011.jpg

[Not to belabor the matter but there was an earlier reference to "white metal."  Anyone know what a genuine coin's composition is, or is supposed to be?]

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Searching the usual reference books and websites I saw only the phrase "white metal," and it's surprising that the exact composition is not specified when the weights usually are. White metal is a more or less generic term for any alloy that is primarily tin or zinc.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

White metal is a more or less generic term for any alloy that is primarily tin or zinc.

That rules out aluminum which is what I thought it looked like, however unlikely.  Thanks for checking!

On 3/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, Zack Pearl said:

it has all same designs

The hair is completely different, and it show what appears to be a choker necklace at the top of the throat which is not on the genuine coins.