Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Coin Show Report 6/15

12 posts in this topic

Traffic was steady but light.  As expected, lots of displays full of TPG Morgan dollars but not stacks of raw Morgans and Peace dollars that one often sees at the shows. I did not see much raw and TPG pre-33 gold, or even gold bullion.  Quite a bit of paper money, and the PMG paper money grading area was backed up.  I did not see much in terms of transactions. 

23 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Did you buy anything?

No.  I was looking to pick up Matte proof Lincolns but didn't see any I liked at a fair price.  I submitted a coin and some currency for grading. 

Heritage auction prices seemed reasonable to me, won 1/3. As I watched the lots scroll by, amazing how unrealistic TPG or "retail" price lists are for the vast majority (by no means all) of coins available. 

5 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Heritage auction prices seemed reasonable to me, won 1/3. As I watched the lots scroll by, amazing how unrealistic TPG or "retail" price lists are for the vast majority (by no means all) of coins available. 

Would you care to share with us any of your pickups?

58 minutes ago, jimbucks said:

Would you care to share with us any of your pickups?

I'm one of those technology-challenged geezers, no grandkids handy, but here goes. Single pickup. Putting together a PF LS type set. Missed the beautifully toned LS $1.00 in the auction, bid too cheap and I knew better. Rats. 

PROOF 20C.jpg

Nice Twenty Cent Piece, Lincolnman.!

At first I thought that you had purchased the 1877 double dime from that sale. For some reason prices on that coin have gone through the roof in all Proof grades. It is the scarcest collectable double dime, but the recent increases seem out of line ot me. And yes I bought one at one of the "out of line prices," but it still seems high.

1 hour ago, BillJones said:

Nice Twenty Cent Piece, Lincolnman.!

At first I thought that you had purchased the 1877 double dime from that sale. For some reason prices on that coin have gone through the roof in all Proof grades. It is the scarcest collectable double dime, but the recent increases seem out of line ot me. And yes I bought one at one of the "out of line prices," but it still seems high.

Thanks Bill. I live in Dallas, so it's convenient for me to preview HA and I really liked the coin in hand. Also picked up a Woods twopence from HA yesterday. Just an XF for my colonial type set. Wanted the NJ serpent head but the price was up there a bit. Colonial prices seem to remain solid, maybe because attractive examples are actually scarce, IMO.  

Colonial prices seem to remain solid, maybe because attractive examples are actually scarce, IMO.  

The colonial market is supported by more collectors and fewer speculators, and as you said, the nice ones with good color and hard surfaces are not common.

18 minutes ago, BillJones said:

The colonial market is supported by more collectors and fewer speculators, and as you said, the nice ones with good color and hard surfaces are not common.

Agreed.

There appear to be far fewer financial buyers of this type coin.  I'd attribute it to the relative numismatic merits versus the price being paid.  These coins have (a lot) more substance versus equivalently priced US Mint issues.