• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning out father in laws estate & want to get these graded. Can anyone help me with what I need to select when filling out the online form?

4 posts in this topic

I’m so lost. I have 6 of these. I want to send these in to be graded. 1880-cc, 1881-cc, 1882-cc, 1883-cc, 1884-cc, 1885-cc. What tier do I select, etc? Are they even worth sending in? I’m completely new to this so if someone could break it down as simple as possible for me I’d really really appreciate it very much!

thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Hi Katie,

First off, hello and welcome to our forum!  Those coins are absolutely worth submitting for grading.  Morgan Dollars have a lot of collectors, and the CC coins in particular.  As far as how to go about submitting them, first you will have to sign up for the NGC Collector's Society or find an NGC authorized dealer to submit them for you.  The dealer option often takes a very long time, from what I've heard, so I would join the Collector's Society yourself.  This link will take you to where you can sign up for the Collector's Society and the various levels you can join at and the cost for each:

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx

Secondly, the tier.  In looking at the full list you have, you have some coins that are worth over the $300 dollar limit for the Economy tier, so you're looking at Early Bird/Standard tier if you want to submit them all together, which would be the easiest with shipping and would allow you to only pay one fee to ship them and one fee for NGC to ship them back to you.  That tier will cost you $30 per coin, which is definitely worth it with the coins you have.  Also, I would recommend requesting the GSA service for your coins as well.  This service will allow for the coins to remain in their original GSA holders, which many collectors of GSA dollars prefer.  It also appears that this service doesn't cost you anything extra, so I'd say it's definitely worth doing.  Here's a link to the Services and Fees page for you:

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/

Now, how to submit.  NGC has two options for that: you can submit with an online submission form or a fillable PDF.  I always use the fillable PDF myself because I like to keep my coins and the submission information together.  Here's a link where you can find the forms:

https://www.ngccoin.com/account/my-submissions/

As far as shipping goes, I would recommend using USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes.  I always use Priority Mail Flat Rate when I submit, in my case the envelope because my coins are typically not in any kind of packaging I want preserved.  Yours are in packaging worth preserving, so you'll need one of the boxes, which are available in four sizes for free at any Post Office.  You'll need to determine the values of your coins in order to insure them properly when you ship them.  Here's the NGC price guide for Morgan Dollars here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/dollars/49/

From there, just fill out the Submission Form, package it with your coins and makes sure to package your coins securely and carefully.  Since you have GSA Dollars and you'll want to keep the packaging, I'd bubble wrap them each individually and make sure there's packing material so that they don't slide around the box.  Then just seal up the box, address it to NGC ( the shipping address is on the Submission Form) and ship it out!

And that should be everything you need to get started with grading here at NGC!  I hope that this is helpful to you and that your coins do well at NGC!!

Best Regards

~Tom

What you may not realize, Katie, and which is important to make explicit, is that 'GSA' is a special designator that can only enhance the coins' value. There are 81-CC Morgans (for example) that are not GSA, and there are those that are GSA. Since a GSA coin can lose that designator (simply by cracking it out and discarding the container, breaking the chain of proof; nothing on the physical coin itself proves GSAness), by definition GSAs are a less common subset of the whole universe of each issue. By making sure that the grading service preserves this designator, you preserve whatever premium the designator carries. Once lost, it can't be regained. The only thing that proves the coin is a GSA coin is either an untampered original holder, or a recognized grading service slab that enshrines the designator (sometimes, as Tom said, by keeping it in the original packaging and adding to it whatever they add).

The description inside the box (shows in your pic) explains what happened with the GSA dollars. The government had manage to stash them somewhere and do nothing with them for a long time. When rediscovered, they decided to sell them to the public. They were by no means the only Carson City dollars in existence; they just represented a special, guaranteed uncirculated (at least I'm not aware of any in the GSA bags that were circulated) version of their issues. I remember this happening in the seventies; as a teen building up to full adult cynicism, I assumed it was a scam or ripoff and didn't buy any. Now I wouldn't mind if I'd sent in some allowance money for some.

I looked up their values. You've got some valuable coins there (depends on grades, but none of them are going to just be bullion coins, or even close). You definitely have the right idea by getting guidance as to what you should do to get the best value for them.