• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 sms penny? Newbie in need of some advise

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have just really started to get serious about coin collecting and I have a few questions about a certain penny that my grandfather had tucked away in one of his dresser drawers. It is a 1964 Lincoln penny but if you didnt actually look at the date, you would think it was freshly minted this morning. Its really a beautiful coin. It has more of a reddish tint to it than any other pennies I've seen. After doing some research I quickly came across the elusive 1964 sms penny. From everything I have read, it seems like the 64' is some what of a "unicorn" like myth. I am no expert by any means, but after examining all the pictures that I found of a genuine sms 64 penny and comparing it to the one in question..well I will let you all decide on if mine looks the same. I have posted some pictures below. Please let me know what you think. I just took this my 64 beside a clean and average looking penny. 0612180000_Film2.thumb.jpg.114eef7039bbaf9d9cfaa66383155da2.jpg

There are no images in your post.

The SMS die has distinctive die polish lines. (A lot of them mostly vertical lines)  Compare your coin to the enlarged close ups in this thread.  The images come for a certified coin sold by Heritage.  The die polish lines on you coin must match the polish lines on the Heritage coin exactly.  Note especially the strong line below the nose, the lines at the point of the bust, the lines INSIDE the coat just a little left of the last ones mentioned, the line in the left field at the point of the shoulder, On the rev the lines in the second bay, 

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=288189

Found you image in the other thread and it is nowhere near good enough to see the needed diagnostics, but the overall look of the coin says no it is not a SMS coin.

I agree with Conder.  Your coin looks like a regular business strike coin, not an SMS.