• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap & Ray 8 reales

9 posts in this topic

Wow, they have some exceptional pieces. This isn't something I collect but I can appreciate them. I hadn't checked out their site in a while. Found quite a few items that I do collect.

I own one, an 1894 MO AM PCGS MS-64, one of the first coins I bought when I resumed collecting in 1998.  I paid $45 for it from a Collector's World Coin Universe auction.  Now, it's probably a $200 to $300 coin.

The series is on my short list if I were to collect something else, but it's become a lot more expensive than it used to be.

I consider the 4R better values.

5 hours ago, World Colonial said:

I own one, an 1894 MO AM PCGS MS-64, one of the first coins I bought when I resumed collecting in 1998.  I paid $45 for it from a Collector's World Coin Universe auction.  Now, it's probably a $200 to $300 coin.

The series is on my short list if I were to collect something else, but it's become a lot more expensive than it used to be.

I consider the 4R better values.

4R are substantially rarer, but really nice.

1 hour ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

4R are substantially rarer, but really nice.

Yes, I own one of these also, an 1847 NGC MS-61 Go-PM which I bought back in 2005.  It's also listed in the NGC census as an AU-58.

This denomination is more expensive but I don't believe the relative price difference reflects the relative scarcity because most collectors prefer larger coins and the 8R is much easier to buy.  Financially though, the 8R seems to now reflect a similar price structure to US coins though the spreads may be somewhat narrower.

After reading these posts, I took a look at the World Numismatics inventory.  They are now down to 339 as I write this post.  So the coins sell fast.  Problem is, even though this is one of if not the most common Latin 19th century type coins, the series is really long and virtually impossible to complete, especially in any better or decent grade.  It's also expensive which discourages more than a very few collectors from even trying.

I believe the 1894 Mo I own has a recorded mintage in the vicinity of 10MM, so it's really common.  However, the survival rate especially in better grades must be really low because I haven't seen that many high quality coins.  

For the 4R, I see it more often than I did earlier,  Stacks sold the largest collection I have ever seen of the minors back in 2011 and for the 4R, it's more than I have seen combined elsewhere in the approximately 15 years I have paid attention to it.