• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Something for Memorial Day

19 posts in this topic

And, since Memorial Day began as a remembrance of the conflict between The US and Confederate States, here is one more:

100_1672 (2).JPG

100_1673 (2).JPG

Well, I've never seen any of these beautiful specimens. I am in awe of you all.

While I celebrate every fallen hero every day, today I offer these as my Remembrance to my Dad who served in Vietnam and  my Grand Dad who landed at Normady. Neither fell while in service, yet both were great men that carried many scars, and schrapnel, for the rest of their lives. These coins came from them. Not one worth more than face value but are what got me started. Here's to you both, Daddy-O and Herk. Always on my mind.

Better late than never, I suppose.

1528172049797517146751.jpg

33 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

While I celebrate every fallen hero every day, today I offer these as my Remembrance to my Dad who served in Vietnam and  my Grand Dad who landed at Normady. Neither fell while in service, yet both were great men that carried many scars, and schrapnel, for the rest of their lives. These coins came from them. Not one worth more than face value but are what got me started. Here's to you both, Daddy-O and Herk. Always on my mind.

Awesome

7 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

All of those are worth more than face value! All of those are 90% .900 fine silver and soft, so shouldnt bang, ding, or scratch them, keep them separated and in the best CONDITION highest grade possible! Also the price of silver can and probably will, go up, a couple are toned I see as well I keep all my silver coins separated and in holders! There are also key dates and mintmarks that can boost the value! All those were earned, "Some gave all" "All Gave Some" You are Not forgotten!

2 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I would never have thought. I definitely will always have them, and will get them into sleeves today.

Hello there! Let me backtrack a little bit! I see nickels in there Old buffalo nickels! "THOSE ARE NOT SILVER" NO NICKEL HAS EVER BEEN minted in SILVER "EXCEPT WARTIME 42-45' MINT marked P,S, or D Jefferson varieties, and those make up the vast majority and/or only silver variety of nickels! The mm buffalo nickels, as in most dates, are valued higher as in most cases  by date, condition, MM or variety!  With or W/o silver content! The BUFFALO NICKELS however have many key dates and variaties! 1913/14 1920 1919 1921 1937 P, S, or D, and a few others for example, that in circulated GOOD 6- AU55 graded NGC MS65-70 as well are buffaloes that are better  or erlier dates, MM, and varieties, however there are many other very valuable varieties that can fetch a premium! War coins, rare dates, SCARCE mintmarks, of any kind! Any coin! In high grade, graded, or upgraded in Most variaties and cases usually have a value and worth a minimum. Also they have a value in collector  terms and/or metal content value! In any case minted in SILVER or not any Coin is Always more valuable in high circulated grade, AU about UC high grade up to MS 65-70 grade and CONDITION! However getting a coin graded is not always worth it, but NGC GRADED coins and 2 other respected gradeing companies, that grade, and those are the coins that in any grade usually fetch a PREMIUM. Condition of coin is priority! That is Not an NGC sales pitch, but they are reguarded as one of the top coin companies in the world! I absolutly reccommend NGC, but CONDITION CONDITION is always the key, please never ever clean!, Not even a rub on a sleeve, not in water not in cloth, don't ever wipe it oFF! Never! Ever! Leave it to an expert and it can mean a world of difference and value!

Buffalo nickels: " for example" AVERAGE of all is ABOUT $2-$5.00 +/- but thats many many times its face value, now compare to the 1921 buffalo no mm in g-XF grade $20-$75, at auction but can be worth  less or much more, however avg. $20 or so. Now the 1921 "s" for example starts at avout $75 in G condition! Starts where the no MM buffalo nickel variety leaves of! The sky is the limit at auction in ANY case or coin but can get seriously pricey in high grade! Even if not graded! The better the condition, the RIGHT COIN, AND the STARS can ALIGN!  You see? However on the buffalo nickels in your collection, may be key, rare, better dates, and or other varieties! They are your families and are a great addition to any collection! But you also may have a HIGHLY sought after, highest grade known coin to exist! Just because the grade goes to 70 that dont mean one has ever been graded that or exists at all! But 1921 1921s 1937 three leg and several others from 1920 and S P or D 1917 1919 1913 1914 13/14 with or w/o MM are a few examplez! Silver Dollars, halves, quarters ,and dimes, with a few exceptions were only minted from and up to 1964 and back 1965 rarely fine SILVER stuff unless it's special! Good silver as well back then not the diluted, less pure, ALLOYS OF todays coins, and bullion silver in general! You do have some good nice stuff, I do  see great coins! "ALL OF IT!"  Is. A really good way to STORE a hoard or lot of coins is in a WHITMAN binder multu coin type sleeve from a hobby shoppy! ACID FREE is best! The single sleeves save for your best examples of coines and  the finer coins! Latex type gloves are always reccommended, while handling any coins that you plan on collecting and/or adding to your collection. Handle them with care, Be gental, baby them, and be kind to them! Treat Any good specimen Of coin like it has potential and it, will be good to you in return! The coin can reward you handsomly. Just respect them if it's for value, in Dollars and cents value. Always Enjoy, good Luck, hope this helps! P.s. a scale and magnifying device 8x plus- 10x great!  I use overkill its a 10x16x reversable WHITMAN coin and jewelers loup! The book Coin World COIN values making the grade a grading guide to the top 50 and collected U.S.A. coins! Is an assett and excellent book! Here is a very nice, but nowhere near perfect, but an early 1866 shield nickel with rays type variety! It is also known for something else! I know but a Little homework for you. I think this is a beauty and fine example that I Thought I'd share with you, it  is not silver! Good day! And always remember to enjoy it! Hope this helps and didn't insult anyone's intelligence or mislead, ITS just some pointers and advise, I'm no expert, ENJOY it, happy hunting,

Sincerely, Capone1929

15282253511921563389513.jpg

1528225572389-402220713.jpg

2 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Hello there! Let me backtrack a little bit! I see nickels in there Old buffalo nickels! "THOSE ARE NOT SILVER" NO NICKEL HAS EVER BEEN minted in SILVER "EXCEPT WARTIME 42-45' MINT marked P,S, or D Jefferson varieties, and those make up the vast majority and/or only silver variety of nickels! The mm buffalo nickels, as in most dates, are valued higher as in most cases  by date, condition, MM or variety!  With or W/o silver content! The BUFFALO NICKELS however have many key dates and variaties! 1913/14 1920 1919 1921 1937 P, S, or D, and a few others for example, that in circulated GOOD 6- AU55 graded NGC MS65-70 as well are buffaloes that are better  or erlier dates, MM, and varieties, however there are many other very valuable varieties that can fetch a premium! War coins, rare dates, SCARCE mintmarks, of any kind! Any coin! In high grade, graded, or upgraded in Most variaties and cases usually have a value and worth a minimum. Also they have a value in collector  terms and/or metal content value! In any case minted in SILVER or not any Coin is Always more valuable in high circulated grade, AU about UC high grade up to MS 65-70 grade and CONDITION! However getting a coin graded is not always worth it, but NGC GRADED coins and 2 other respected gradeing companies, that grade, and those are the coins that in any grade usually fetch a PREMIUM. Condition of coin is priority! That is Not an NGC sales pitch, but they are reguarded as one of the top coin companies in the world! I absolutly reccommend NGC, but CONDITION CONDITION is always the key, please never ever clean!, Not even a rub on a sleeve, not in water not in cloth, don't ever wipe it oFF! Never! Ever! Leave it to an expert and it can mean a world of difference and value!

Buffalo nickels: " for example" AVERAGE of all is ABOUT $2-$5.00 +/- but thats many many times its face value, now compare to the 1921 buffalo no mm in g-XF grade $20-$75, at auction but can be worth  less or much more, however avg. $20 or so. Now the 1921 "s" for example starts at avout $75 in G condition! Starts where the no MM buffalo nickel variety leaves of! The sky is the limit at auction in ANY case or coin but can get seriously pricey in high grade! Even if not graded! The better the condition, the RIGHT COIN, AND the STARS can ALIGN!  You see? However on the buffalo nickels in your collection, may be key, rare, better dates, and or other varieties! They are your families and are a great addition to any collection! But you also may have a HIGHLY sought after, highest grade known coin to exist! Just because the grade goes to 70 that dont mean one has ever been graded that or exists at all! But 1921 1921s 1937 three leg and several others from 1920 and S P or D 1917 1919 1913 1914 13/14 with or w/o MM are a few examplez! Silver Dollars, halves, quarters ,and dimes, with a few exceptions were only minted from and up to 1964 and back 1965 rarely fine SILVER stuff unless it's special! Good silver as well back then not the diluted, less pure, ALLOYS OF todays coins, and bullion silver in general! You do have some good nice stuff, I do  see great coins! "ALL OF IT!"  Is. A really good way to STORE a hoard or lot of coins is in a WHITMAN binder multu coin type sleeve from a hobby shoppy! ACID FREE is best! The single sleeves save for your best examples of coines and  the finer coins! Latex type gloves are always reccommended, while handling any coins that you plan on collecting and/or adding to your collection. Handle them with care, Be gental, baby them, and be kind to them! Treat Any good specimen Of coin like it has potential and it, will be good to you in return! The coin can reward you handsomly. Just respect them if it's for value, in Dollars and cents value. Always Enjoy, good Luck, hope this helps! P.s. a scale and magnifying device 8x plus- 10x great!  I use overkill its a 10x16x reversable WHITMAN coin and jewelers loup! The book Coin World COIN values making the grade a grading guide to the top 50 and collected U.S.A. coins! Is an assett and excellent book! Here is a very nice, but nowhere near perfect, but an early 1866 shield nickel with rays type variety! It is also known for something else! I know but a Little homework for you. I think this is a beauty and fine example that I Thought I'd share with you, it  is not silver! Good day! And always remember to enjoy it! Hope this helps and didn't insult anyone's intelligence or mislead, ITS just some pointers and advise, I'm no expert, ENJOY it, happy hunting,

Sincerely, Capone1929

I truley dont know if your testing me to see if I know, or if you actually didn't know, so I know it is long, and a little confusing, Tips can be applied to all collected coins or to preserve value! If you didn't know, Hope Im correct, if so, Very Glad, it helped! Btw, I see a, what i think is a P,D, or S US minted 1944 Washington quarter In pretty darn good shape, on the reverse of it if the coin,  it has a mint mark, or not, "s" is super, no matter what it is a WWII TIME wartime .900 fine silver Washington quarter, details remain, unknown! Happy trails for now,

Capone1929

4 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

I truley dont know if your testing me to see if I know, or if you actually didn't know, so I know it is long, and a little confusing, Tips can be applied to all collected coins or to preserve value! If you didn't know, Hope Im correct, if so, Very Glad, it helped! Btw, I see a, what i think is a P,D, or S US minted 1944 Washington quarter In pretty darn good shape, on the reverse of it if the coin,  it has a mint mark, or not, "s" is super, no matter what it is a WWII TIME wartime .900 fine silver Washington quarter, details remain, unknown! Happy trails for now,

Capone1929

Shew! Capone, you told me you are a newbie. Honestly, with the wear on those coins I never expected any to be of any great monetary value, but when I 1st found them I knew zero aboit coins in general and do plan to go back and have a 2nd look once I finish cataloguing what I have, which seems like a never ending feat at this point. Right now I have them in a tube and promise to get them into the little folded sleeve things I bought 1000 of. I only keep my Buffalos with them because I always liked them and they are old, so they go with the rest for now. I do look through a 3x lamp with a 15x lighted taped to it along with the small circle of my handheld and I use them all at once, so that's about 25-30x mag on every coin plus I now have a microscope too, although it is digital and is a pain in my arse. It will be good for taking photos. Thank you so much for taking the time pass all that info along, it must have taken you forever. I will hold onto the email but it was a lot to take in at once, especially when I'm stuck inside this one cent hole at the moment-but I'm up to 1978 now! Whoop! Whoop! I'm going to go back to brighter shinier things when I hit 1983. 

8 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Sincerely, Capone1929

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/brief-history-nickel-180958941/