• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 S Washington Quarter DDO? MS65?

10 posts in this topic

I would appreciate feedback on this one.  I am not a fan at all of SEGS, but recently bought this coin.  My plan is too submit here at NGC for cross over grading but am curious what people think about the DDO.  I see the doubling in the 3, but not a lot of other places - although I have little knowledge on most VAMs.  Less concerned about maintaining the MS65 but that would be nice.  Obverse of coin is blazing white, reverse is toned.  Thanks.

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

NGC only attributes one 43-S DDO, and I don't think yours is it, so you will lose that attribution. Also, be aware that they do not "cross over" from any grading service but PCGS, so your coin will be treated as a raw coin. As far as whether or not it will keep the 65, I can not make that call from the pictures. If the rest of the coin looks like the upper cheek area, I would have to say no.

It's interesting how the two reverse pics look so different. I'm not a fan of the way the first one looks, but I like the way the coin looks in the second pic. Which one more closely resembles the coin in hand?

Thanks for the feedback on the DDO attribution.  I understand they would treat it as a raw coin, thus my hesitation on the regrading.  The holder is scratched up and with the toning it is hard to get a good look at the reverse but in my opinion it looks more like the first pic when I look at it, the second pic is with added light magnification from an app I use.

Maintaining a 65 when your in uncharted slab areas is 'iffy' at best. Take away the 10 power loupe from the SEGS grader and this DDO disappears. Still a nice looking silver quarter though. Good luck!

A lot depends just how much you want to 'sink; into this coin...if you picked it up for a song in the SEGS slab, the grading investment might be worth a try, but if your buried in the coin, it might be foolish money thereafter.

I just don't see any real separation of the lower parts of the letters, there maybe minute traces else where on ths coin but a true DDO that is listed, no. Sorry, keep it in the SEGS holder and enjoy.

igwt_Fotor.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are a great many DDOs for 1943 quarters of all three mints, likely the result of rushed work during a time of very high mintages. NGC will attribute varieties that are clearly distinguishable from other, similar ones, but this presents a problem for some of the 1943 quarters. You can gauge the size of this problem from the following link:

http://www.varietyvista.com/09a WQ Vol 1/DDOs 1943-S.htm

Note that few of these varieties are illustrated, though there are verbal descriptions on the CONECA master list, and some are illustrated in James Wiles' hard copy books, which NGC does have. Unless the variety is very clear and distinctive from the others, NGC will not attribute it.