• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with some ancient coins - Thebes Beotia Shield Stater - (opinions of Authenticity)

11 posts in this topic

No, the slab is not from NGC. It is only a generic slab bought from ebay that I use to put some of my coins. I’am asking because I am thinking to send this coin to NGC, but I am um Brazil, and have serius doubt if it is authentic. It apears to be cast, not struck, but not certain of it.

I am suspecting of this two specific point. The first on the edge looks to be a sinal of injection of metal in a molde. The second looks a leftover of metal.What do You think? It would be sinals of casting or not, only natural use?

B95B45D2-23F6-46C2-BC6D-24717000F7BB.jpeg

2941FFCD-33E6-48A3-A39B-ADBB6C90EA27.jpeg

The Kali magistrate Boeotian stater you have appears to be in great shape, it has a test cut on the side, and is most likely 100% authentic. One way to really tell is to look for evidence of die rust as most Boeotian coins were mass produced and struck with rusted or worn dies. Another tell of authenticity is to grab a microscope and look for signs on the coin of crystallization in the crevices. Its hard to fake thousands of years of crystallization

I hope all the coins you've posted are real......the feeling of getting a fake or having a fake SUCKS. Goodluck and perhaps ask experts in your country who deal in ancients what they think and if all good, send to NGC

If that is real, it is one of the most perfectly centered and immaculately struck examples I've ever seen. That alone leads me to be suspicious - these were almost never perfectly centered like that.